Rabbit poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
My yard is full of rabbits poop. The rabbits get in my yard and cover my lawn with poop. I have caught my tort trying to eat it. I try and keep it away from them, but the amount is crazy. Will the rabbit poop hurt the torts?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Eating feces of birds, rabbits, etc. is one way that tortoises become parasite ridden. Are these wild rabbits? I doubt there's anything in the rabbit poop that will harm your tortoise, they are vegetarians too, but its not something I would encourage.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I wonder if wild rabbit poop is like tame rabbits... it use to be said that rabbits utilize their food so poorly, that they would actually be better off eating their own manure. That they would digest more of it, if it went thru a second time. Just sorta a curious thought on the food value of the rabbit poop, but like Yvonne said there could be possible cross contamination issues.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
They are wild rabbits. For some reason the population seems extremly high latetly. Sometimes I look outside and there are 10 in my yard. Maybe it is because my dogs are old.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Angi I think that if you keep it somewhat picked up then a munch or two should not be an issue...after all the rabbit is wild and readily graze on good stuff....and remember the rabbit and tortoise naturally share the same ground....here in the desert rabbit and tortoise co exist and certainly have run across one another as native species.....:D

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Angi, A few months ago a hawk ate a bird in my yard, there were feather everywhere, seriously everywhere, I didn't want Lou eating them so I started picking them ups, after the 50th feather, I went and got the shop vac and vacuumed my yard!! I was done in 2 minutes!!! My kids thought I was nuts, but they didn't want to pick up the feathers either!!! Worked for me!! Just a thought! :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just put up 300' of hardware cloth to keep the wild critters out of my yard. I don't want to risk parasites or any other problems. The wild rabbits in my area are covered with all sorts of fleas and ticks. I've found them carrying bot-fly larvae and who knows what they are carrying on the inside.

If I were you, I'd run a fecal on my torts and worm them if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.