Advice on new baby leopard tort

RaychillG

I'm a long time turtle owner but completely new to tortoises. I purchased a baby leopard tortoise from a reptile convention this past Sunday. I've been doing constant research on her to keep her comfortable and healthy. Right now she is in a tall 20gal aquarium and I've learned that's not the best. I've put foil over the mesh top to keep in humidity and now it's at a steady 80-90% with her teperature ranging from 80-100°. This morning I fed her some of her muzuri food, some alfalfa pellets, a bit baby greens, some aloe, and some orange mango tort bits. She isn't opening her left eye much or drinking, or pooping. Is there anything I can do better? I live in south Louisiana and it's pretty hot and humid here.

Attachments

• 0613171024a.jpg
    0613171024a.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome, Ray!

Temp and humidity look ok, however, the tortoise needs a UVB light. Do you have that?

Read the threads pinned at the top of the leopard section. There's some good, useful info and helpful hints for you.

RaychillG

I do! I have a UVB, a basking one, and a red one for night. I did just get the humidity right last night, so it hasn't been long.

daniellenc

Maryland
Not sure UVB will go through foil.....I'd double check but I believe it would reflect it away unless the lamp is inside?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The mesh is blocking a lot of the UVB. Cut a hole in the mesh that the bulb will hang over. The red bulb should be replaced with a ceramic heat emitter that gives off heat but no light. Sometime those red lights can make them eat things they shouldn't. Night time needs no light just heat. Give warm soaks daily and stop feeding fruit, it's bad for them, specially a baby..

RaychillG

Okay, I can cut the mesh when I get home. She won't eat any fruit and I'm literally giving her a teeny bit compared to her big pile of greens, I can save it until she's bigger though.

RoshiTheTortoise

California
Hello! I am also new to this forum (although I have been lurking on it for the past few months before getting my first tortoise) and I too have been a long time turtle owner, but new to owning a tortoise. I've had my baby leopard tortoise for exactly three weeks now, but she was in the same condition as yours for the first few days when I got her. She is now marching around her home like she's the boss and eats very well.

What worked for me was, I soaked her in shallow lukewarm water (as seen in my profile pic) for approximately 15 mins every morning. I also had to hand feed her for the first 4-5 days and that got her to eat. Most importantly, as others have mentioned, I think the the type of lamp/light is very important. I used a 10 UVB compact fluorescent lamp for the first two days, then I immediately switched over to the powersun 100 watts uv mvb lamp and I definitely noticed an increase in her activity level.

Hopefully those work for your new baby tortoise!

RaychillG

Every morning I have been soaking her before giving her food. She seems to have a healthy appetite for the muzuri tablets, grass, clovers, and that's about it so far. She doesn't want baby kale, spring mix, or any fancy veggies (aloe, carrots, or the strawberries). She pooped yesterday but only once. Her left eye isn't always open and it kinda looks like it's white in the corner so i put a bit of colloidal silver in her warm bath water. She sleeps a lot but I don't know if any of this is notmal because baby tortoises are so different than baby turtles haha.

RaychillG

I'm going to get a picture of her eye when I get home from work. After reading I'm just nervous her breeder didn't care for her properly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They need it dark at night, but still warm. Those red bulbs are not a good idea. Use a CHE set on a thermostat to maintain ambient.

What type of UV bulb are you using? Those cfl types con burn their eyes. Since your is only closing one eye, this might not be the primary cause of your issue, but those bulb can still bother an eye that is irritated for some other reason.

What substrate are you using?

Try reading all of these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

RaychillG

They need it dark at night, but still warm. Those red bulbs are not a good idea. Use a CHE set on a thermostat to maintain ambient.

What type of UV bulb are you using? Those cfl types con burn their eyes. Since your is only closing one eye, this might not be the primary cause of your issue, but those bulb can still bother an eye that is irritated for some other reason.0614172136.jpg 0614172122.jpg

What substrate are you using?

Try reading all of these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Thank you, I'll check those out. I'm not sure what kind of bulbs but I can post a photo below. I have ordered a CHE light and it's coming in. I also have posted a picture of her eye. Do tortoises have a second eyelid? That's almost what it looks like. She has also pooped today but is it normal for a Baby to only go once?

Attachments

• 14974941807862143936459.jpg
    14974941807862143936459.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • 0614172136.jpg
    0614172136.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12