quick and easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NV
I have a baby leopard and i was just curious... I am finishing up my table and want to know if his hide box and area is 90 at night i dont have to really worry about the rest of the tavle cause he wont be over there. Am i looking at this correctly? Or should i get another night heat lamp for the other side of the table??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I try to raise mine the way suggested by Tom. My understanding is never below 80-85 day or nite, with basking 90-100. Keep them warm, humid, hydrated. Hope this answers your question

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
Well what i mean is i have a kinda large table. 6x2. And i have a mvb on one side and a red heat light on the other. Both during the day keep it perfect. At night would it be ok to turn off the mvb so its dark and only have the red light on his hideout. Or should i get another light to keep the other side warm at night when the mvb is off?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes turn the MVB off at night. However if the red bulb does not keep any of the places he can go day or night at least 80-85 degrees, then yes you would need another heat source. They should have it dark at night. So do not leave the MVB on at night. I like using the CHE ceramic heat emitters, no light just heat for night time. If he can not get out of his hide at night, and the hide is 80-85 at night, then no you would not need another heat source for night time. Did I get it this time:D. If not let me know and I will try again.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
So he needs more than his housing area warm at night to go out if he wants. Perfect. (Idk y i couldnt fugure to word it like i just did haha) yes thank you. Sorry im a little bad with words sometimes lol

Im laughing at myself :) just so you know.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I've become quite fond of my ceramic heat emitters and thermostat. This allows complete darkness at night but plenty of heat throughout both day and night time hours.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
blastoise91 said:
So he needs more than his housing area warm at night to go out if he wants. Perfect. (Idk y i couldnt fugure to word it like i just did haha) yes thank you. Sorry im a little bad with words sometimes lol

Im laughing at myself :) just so you know.

It may be me not getting it not you:D:D:D. I am laughing at the both of us. No worries though, we would have kept it going until we got it right:D

Redstrike said:
I've become quite fond of my ceramic heat emitters and thermostat. This allows complete darkness at night but plenty of heat throughout both day and night time hours.

DITTO, I stopped using my red bulb. I wanted him to have darkness also. I just keep the bulb for back up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My concern is that if he comes out of his warm area and moves to the unseated area, he could very well get sick. Cold and damp is no bueno. Warm and damp is great. I would make sure the whole thing is warm enough at all times. Leopards seem to be more prone to respiratory problems than some other species. I have never had one get sick, but I never let mine get cool.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
Oh yes of course. I planned on finishing the table this weekend and giving another few days just to eye temps throughout the day. he is kept mid high 80s right now. And table is gonna be that all around and basking under mvb at 100 :) coolest he has ever been is room temp wen i got him bringing him home.

I know cold is bad i just thought at night he would tend to stay in the hide or around it so i would have no reason to maintain all six feet at night but i have no problem buying more lights.

And lastly i do plan on the ceramic ones most definately for night. What i have is just temporary lighting. Any realiable brands to look at??

EKLC

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:

I second this.

MVB is on timer, Zoomed 100 watt CHE is on thermostat. If the temp drops below 82 it comes on. Nice because it saves power by keeping it just in the 80-85 degree range AND when my bulb burns out, if I'm not around it will come on to keep the enclosure warm

Status
Not open for further replies.