Question on heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Whats your opinion on the CHE versus the heat rope or tubing? Any one more reliable or last longer?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I use CHE as a primary source of heat. This comes from above is and is more natural for the tortoise. A lot more conducive for warming a large area.

The heat ropes I used for a while to maintain a warm, humid substrate, but I have cut them off because for whatever reason, the temps in the bedding has stabilized and no longer requires them. Heat ropes only provide supplemental belly heat from underneath and really will not warm the air like a CHE will.

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri
Thanks, I was concerned with the humid hide not being warm enough, being continually damp I didn't want it to get too cool in there. Do you think the CHE will sufficiently warm it up?

Jim in Merced CA

5 Year Member
elvis said:
I use a CHE and a fiber glass heating pad !

I'm in Central CA - and although the weather is not as fantastic as it is in So Cal -- it's relatively mild.

If I have a 4-5 year old Sulcata, in an outdoor enclosure, who gets sun each day, I seem to be hearing that a CHE and a heating pad could do the trick.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
A CHE in combination with a heating pad has been used successflly by several forums members. Typically they are both controlled by a thermostat. I think the draw back to a heating pad is that you can't cover them with any substrate. In my tortoise's night box I have hay for him to burrow around in. He also munches on it when it is too cool for him to come outside. This morning when I openned his door and checked on him he was totalled covered in hay. Some members that have recently built night boxes have used radiated heat panels. I haven't any experience with them, but you might search the Forum to see what you can find.

elvis

5 Year Member
southern calif
Jim in Merced CA said:
I'm in Central CA - and although the weather is not as fantastic as it is in So Cal -- it's relatively mild.

If I have a 4-5 year old Sulcata, in an outdoor enclosure, who gets sun each day, I seem to be hearing that a CHE and a heating pad could do the trick.

I'm in So Cal. Winter can get really cold for a sulcata. I've used both for years. It's what makes me feel good. I can't bare the thought of them being too cold. He has plenty of room in his shed to move around to adjust his temp to his liking

Status
Not open for further replies.