Overgrown scales on Sulcata leg?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Google Hyperkeratosis in dogs
What is going on with your sulcata reminds me of a condition my bull terrier had on a toe pad. The vet didn't seem to have a clue what it was. It would come and go but most of the time was there.
This is interesting. I hope it's something like this, and not cancerous.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Google Hyperkeratosis in dogs
What is going on with your sulcata reminds me of a condition my bull terrier had on a toe pad. The vet didn't seem to have a clue what it was. It would come and go but most of the time was there.
Completely out of my depth so I don’t really have much input, but I thought the exact same thing looking at the photos! Hopefully it’s something like that and nothing sinister, very unusual to see..

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hey! Thank you. Is there anything to note from the photo that is an indication of what you’ve suggested? Just so I can pass it on?

Many thanks again!
From my personal experience with two Radiated Tortoises and a Ploughshare Tortoise, unexplained swollen looking areas like that shown on your tortoise have been cancer (1) and abscesses (2). All three required surgery by very good exotic vets. The two animals which had the abscesses are still living, but the one which had cancer died a few years later when the cancer returned and was inoperable.

I would still recommend that a qualified exotics vet examine your tortoise to rule out potentially serious problems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, you're talking about the stringy-looking glob in the first picture. Got it. I just thought it looked like a foot that did a lot of walking on concrete. Upon Wellington's suggestion I did a Google image search and one of the pictures that came up showed a dog's paw that's the spitting image of your tortoise's foot.

I have no experience with this, so I can only suggest a good, emphasis on GOOD, tortoise vet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ok, you're talking about the stringy-looking glob in the first picture. Got it. I just thought it looked like a foot that did a lot of walking on concrete. Upon Wellington's suggestion I did a Google image search and one of the pictures that came up showed a dog's paw that's the spitting image of your tortoise's foot.

I have no experience with this, so I can only suggest a good, emphasis on GOOD, tortoise vet.
No not the white stringy glob. The protruding hump that has stiff looking hair lol that looks like the dogs foot you found when you searched Hyperkeratosis in dogs.
My dog had it. It's really stiff weird hair like on a dogs paw.
Looks just like this Sulcatas foot looks, but they don't have hair.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No not the white stringy glob. The protruding hump that has stiff looking hair lol that looks like the dogs foot you found when you searched Hyperkeratosis in dogs.
My dog had it. It's really stiff weird hair like on a dogs paw.
Looks just like this Sulcatas foot looks, but they don't have hair.
I didn't refer to it correctly. We're talking about the same area.

When I first looked at the picture, because the subject line referred to LEG, I didn't look closely at the foot and just assumed the pad was rough because of walking on cement.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Also! Thank you for you kindness with the welcome. And I appreciate the concern too! Mainly just happy people who know what they’re looking at can help - as I’ve never seen it before and I’m also like “whaaat”
How's he doing?

Crocgirl

Paignton
Hi all!

Apologies for the delay, I’ve been slightly snowed under. Awaiting vet visit on Wednesday to see what they think. I believe one is slightly ulcerated as it seems to occasionally bleed. He’s my main concern right now as others with him do not have the hyperkeratosis or swelling/growth, so I fear it maybe more than just environmental. Please keep you’re fingers crossed for him and I’ll update you when I can and answer some more questions in comments when I can.

Also to the commenter that said they were looking at the leg because I wrote ‘leg’ - yeah, that’s my bad. I do apologise, wrote it in a minor panic 😊

Thank you all. Hugely appreciated