Pyramiding??

emelliem13

Location (City and/or State)
California
Idk if I should be worried if this is pyramiding. But if it is how can I prevent from it getting worse. This is my first tortoise so I’m a little paranoid.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
This is extremely bad pyramiding. this tort is lacking the necessary humidity. Please describe and post pictures of your enclosure. Also read the caresheet below.

emelliem13

California
This is extremely bad pyramiding. this tort is lacking the necessary humidity. Please describe and post pictures of your enclosure. Also read the caresheet below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 71

emelliem13

California
I noticed it and I fixed the humidity, do you think it’ll stop getting worse?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I noticed it and I fixed the humidity, do you think it’ll stop getting worse?
It will not stop with an open top enclosure and those puck like gauges you are using are junk and not accurate at all. The enclosure is also way too small for the size tort you have.
Read the caresheet linked by the other member and make big changes.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
It looks like you have a cfl/curly fluorescent bulb for uvb as well. Those have been shown to affect tortoises eyes. I would change that out for a t5 style strip light.

Fyi: we are only trying to help the tort, please don't take the criticism personally

emelliem13

California
It looks like you have a cfl/curly fluorescent bulb for uvb as well. Those have been shown to affect tortoises eyes. I would change that out for a t5 style strip light.

Fyi: we are only trying to help the tort, please don't take the criticism personally
I have this one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16

emelliem13

California
It will not stop with an open top enclosure and those puck like gauges you are using are junk and not accurate at all. The enclosure is also way too small for the size tort you have.
Read the caresheet linked by the other member and make big changes.
So what size enclosure do I get?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have this one
Those sometimes damage tortoise eyes and should not be used. They are also ineffective as UV sources.

What part of CA are you in? Different advice for Mammoth vs. Mojave.

A tortoise that size needs an indoor closed chamber enclosure around 4x8 feet. That will last it until its time to move outside full time. You can make your own, buy one from @Markw84 , or order one from Animal Plastics and wait 8 months for it.

emelliem13

California
Those sometimes damage tortoise eyes and should not be used. They are also ineffective as UV sources.

What part of CA are you in? Different advice for Mammoth vs. Mojave.

A tortoise that size needs an indoor closed chamber enclosure around 4x8 feet. That will last it until its time to move outside full time. You can make your own, buy one from @Markw84 , or order one from Animal Plastics and wait 8 months for it.
I’m from Los Angeles. And idk if I can change the enclosure Bc my family is really tight on money rn

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m from Los Angeles. And idk if I can change the enclosure Bc my family is really tight on money rn
Read the care sheet and do your best. If you don't have money, then at least spend your time learning about which weeds, grasses and plants to feed, and make sure the tortoise gets some sunshine and good hydration. Your tortoise also has MBD, which comes from lack of UV, lack of D3, lack of calcium, and poor diet. Start feeding the tortoise the right foods, use a calcium supplement with D3, and get it out in the sunshine in a safe enclosure when the weather gets a little warmer. You can make an outdoor pen with scrap lumber, cinder blocks, or even a large kiddie pool. Get creative. We can help offer low cost ideas. Ask lots of questions. Its good that you've realized there is a problem and you've asked for help.

emelliem13

California
Read the care sheet and do your best. If you don't have money, then at least spend your time learning about which weeds, grasses and plants to feed, and make sure the tortoise gets some sunshine and good hydration. Your tortoise also has MBD, which comes from lack of UV, lack of D3, lack of calcium, and poor diet. Start feeding the tortoise the right foods, use a calcium supplement with D3, and get it out in the sunshine in a safe enclosure when the weather gets a little warmer. You can make an outdoor pen with scrap lumber, cinder blocks, or even a large kiddie pool. Get creative. We can help offer low cost ideas. Ask lots of questions. Its good that you've realized there is a problem and you've asked for help.
Ok thank you so much

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For such a young tortoise and the problems it has already with MBD and Pyramiding, maybe consider rehoming him so he can get the proper care and enclosure he needs. Not having enough room to roam will cause more problems with legs, muscles and walking.

emelliem13

California
For such a young tortoise and the problems it has already with MBD and Pyramiding, maybe consider rehoming him so he can get the proper care and enclosure he needs. Not having enough room to roam will cause more problems with legs, muscles and walking.
I do have room to roam around it’s just the enclosure was not humid enough. Everywhere I looked and the pet store all said that to not have it humid which is what I did. I can’t change the enclosure but I can do everything else.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do have room to roam around it’s just the enclosure was not humid enough. Everywhere I looked and the pet store all said that to not have it humid which is what I did. I can’t change the enclosure but I can do everything else.
I understand but he should not roam the floors of your house and unless you can get him outside to a bigger area on a regular basis you could be looking at a tortoise that won't be able to walk. I rescued one that this happened too because its enclosure was too small for proper exercise and it was a leopard which is smaller then a sulcata.
Right now you may still be able to get the Christmas tree storage tote boxes which would give more room then he has now. Even connecting two large totes or even a pop up portable green house which can be had for around 30-50 bucks. Some people buy old used dressers and rugs them to use as an enclosure.