Pyramiding redfoot?

Should I take her to the vet?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

princessredfoot

5 Year Member
Redfoot tortoise pyramiding?

A week ago I got an early birthday present, a redfoot tortoise who is female and about a year old. She is very shy, and her shell heavily indicates that she is pyrmamiding. This was confimed when I posted a picture of her online and a concerned tortoise lover sent me a link to this website. I was wondering what I could do to make her more comfortable. Will her shell ever go back to normal? I have researched and created a new diet plan that will hopefully adequatley fufil her dietry requirements, also her vivarium she came in is very very small so I think her lack of excersise might not be helping. I intend to build her (when I have the time and money) a new, larger table top environment. I understand that her old owners did give her calcium and so I have a new calcium and D3 supplement. However I understand her old owners never fed her any protien so I would imagaine that probably didn't help either. Overall I was debating wether or not to take her to the vet for any specific treatment or if it was just a case of giving her the right sort of life? If this is so, then any other adjustments you feel might benefit Princess would be greatley appriciated.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
There is sadly no magical potion the Vet can give to change the past care or in this case the lacks in care. Sounds like you are on the correct course with treatment and changing her life. Time and correct care will not correct it either, but atleast they will make it so it does not looks so bad and give her the best possible life. You didn't mention humidity and since this is a redfoot, humidity is very important. Have you decided how your going to increase the humidity levels? Almost forgot happy belated birthday and welcome to tortoises! :tort:

princessredfoot

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
There is sadly no magical potion the Vet can give to change the past care or in this case the lacks in care. Sounds like you are on the correct course with treatment and changing her life. Time and correct care will not correct it either, but atleast they will make it so it does not looks so bad and give her the best possible life. You didn't mention humidity and since this is a redfoot, humidity is very important. Have you decided how your going to increase the humidity levels? Almost forgot happy belated birthday and welcome to tortoises! :tort:

Her vivarium has two settings, night and day I can't remember what they are off the top of my head, but I checked it out and I think she's fine in that sense, her vivarium is nice and humid. I spoke to her owners and they've had her since she was six months, her last vet check was two years ago so they also weren't honest about her age. Thank you, I still think she's beautiful and she will remain my pride and joy!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Jacqui has given you correct advice...but here is the thing, you say s/he is a year old. Thats good. Now is the time to correct the issues...pyramiding is caused by a few things. Lack of humidity, hydration. Poor diet. Lack of exercise. And sunlight. Now since you have a redfoot, they dont require sunlight, they get D3 and calcium from their diet. But by all means if your tort will tolerate textural sunlight, put s/he out in the sun. Humidity, I would suggest to get a humid hide. Put some moss in it to keep the humidity up and keep it warm. Use a good substrate. Like cypress mulch mixed with soil, or cocoir, which is messy, but lots of people use it. Keep your humidity above 80% , always have water available..I would soak daily, if not 2 times daily. Now as far as diet goes. I copied this from tortoiselibrary.com.............................................................................................................................Mostly greens and plant matter, some vegetables and fruits, small amounts of protein. Prepared tortoise chows may be used instead or along with fresh foods. (Diet Overview, Omnivorous Diet)
Plant materials can be most lettuces, greens, flowers, mushrooms, hays, grasses, leaves or flowers of edible plants such as hibiscus, and leaves of fruit trees such as mulberry. Avoid using only a few items over and over, especially things like spinach, cabbage, and Iceberg lettuces.
Vegetables and fruits can include shredded carrot, squash, pumpkin, bell pepper, apples, kiwifruit, etc. Some very good options are figs and papaya. Keep bananas, grapes, and citrus to a minimum. This should only be about 20% of the diet or so.
Meats should be about 10% or less of the diet. Live bugs and worms, snails and slugs, lightly cooked eggs, chicken, 'oily fish' (salmon, mackerel, etc.), dog or cat food and so on.
Feed daily. Remove food when it goes bad. One way to help prevent overfeeding is to limit the higher calorie foods (such as fruits and meats) to an amount smaller than the tortoise's head

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Happy birthday and welcome to the Forum! You'll find excellent information on here, your Princess is in good hands now.
Oh, and, Princess, meet Princesse :-D

Hm, pic didn't show... Scene 1 take 2 ;-)

image-2929266632.png

Attachments

• image-3090889638.png
    image-3090889638.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Status
Not open for further replies.