Proud papa of two CA Desert Tortoises

Jacob Wells

Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, CA
I have two CA Desert Tortoise hatchlings. They're about six months old. I have them in an aquarium and they're thriving greatly. My question is, how do I get the temperature to stay in an acceptable range at night? I have a black light and under tank warmer but the temperature is dipping down below 70. During the day, the temperature sits at 82

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I didn't provide night heat for my desert tortoises but my daytime temps were much higher than that.

Mid 60s are ok for night temps when they can warm up properly during the day. Can your tortoises have high 90s during the day?

Are you willing to share more photos or a description of your enclosure?

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
When I used a tank, I used reflective insulation. It's about $20 for a roll at Home Depot or Lowe's. It worked very well.

Also, you might want to move the under-tank heat mat to the side of the tank as most tortoise bury themselves to get away from overhead heat (i.e. the sun).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jacob, and welcome to the Forum!

You probably need either an extra light, or a light of a higher wattage. Over my baby desert tortoises I have three light fixtures - one on either end with black lights and one in the middle with a 100watt MVB. The black lights are on day and night, but the MVB is on a timer from 7a to 7p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of the care advice that is "out there" for these guys is old, out-dated and frequently leads to dehydration or death.

I have been housing them like this for years and had nothing but success I wrote this for russian tortoises, but care is essentially the same:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

You need a warmer basking area during the day. Near 100 is good. 70 at night is fine and you need no night heat in that case.

I would also house them separately. I have seen nothing but problems with pairs. Groups are usually fine until they start getting closer to maturity, and then the males start fighting, but pairs are usually problematic. They don't want or need company. They don't see other tortoises as "friends" or siblings.

This might help too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
2 get higher temperatures you need higher wattage or another heat source.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
It was in the 40s last week and my setup never went below 70. I use a plastic greenhouse ($20 Amazon) on top of a gun rack case set on its back and covered it with the reflective insulation. I have a CHE in the middle set to 80 on a thermostat, a 4' LED light strip, and two flood lights for hotter zones during the day.

Jacob Wells

Bakersfield, CA
IMG_20150924_192226.jpg IMG_20150924_192236.jpg IMG_20150924_192226.jpg IMG_20150924_192236.jpg
I have two CA Desert Tortoise hatchlings. They're about six months old. I have them in an aquarium and they're thriving greatly. My question is, how do I get the temperature to stay in an acceptable range at night? I have a black light and under tank warmer but the temperature is dipping down below 70. During the day, the temperature sits at 82[

IMG_20151205_172303.jpg IMG_20151116_132402.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Such cute little babies. Desert Tortoises are so personable.

I would make the substrate a lot deeper so they can burrow into it. Also, as mentioned, above they need some plants in the enclosure so they can hide when they want to.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aren't they just the cutest little things? Have you seen my desert tortoise enclosure:

baby desert tortoises 9-17-15 a.jpg baby desert tortoises 9-17-15 b.jpg

That's a Christmas Tree Storage bin made by Iris. It's about 4' long, so I have a black light on either end with the Mercury Vapor bulb in the middle. The black lights stay on day and night.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
I don't know why but they resemble sulcatas a lot. Either way, you need to add a heat lamp and some nice plants in there. :)

When they're little, the only way I can tell the difference between a Sulcata and a CA native tortoise is the presence of a nuchal scute (right above their neck).

lilmegtgood

I think those two tortoises are precious!! Can you find them easily in pet stores? Because I really want one!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

I would place a barrier between the tile counter top and the bottom of the tank, like a piece of rubber mat....I would increase the depth of that substrate to about 5 inches firmly packed down by hand....I also would suggest that if the uv ray bulb is sitting on top of that mesh screen that you make a cut out for the light so that the mesh is not filtering out the benefits of the uv rays....I would also add a place for hiding, like a bunch of silk plants canopied in the corner or a couple pieces of covering around a corner of the tank walls themselves (adhered to the outside) to give like a place for them to get out of sight....please do understand that while the torts are this size it is very difficult to know what the sex is of each, but trust that they already know what one another is...males do terrible together because they are HUGELY territorial and a male will do mock sexual attacks of the female which can lead to stress and bites (I reference mock because they are acting out more that making out at the young age)....two individual enclosures/yards should be in the plans to assure each of their safety....just my thoughts.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California