Desert Tortoises in Winter

ljaneway

Hi, I have two desert tortoises that are about 2 years old. Last winter I kept them inside. Can they stay outside this winter? I live in Las Vegas and doesn't get very cold but there are times when the temperature gets down to freezing. I worry. If the temperature does get that low what do I do? Dig them out? Help! Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm an advocate for allowing the hibernating species to do just that. Unless the animal is a new-to-you, first winter for you tortoise, or is sick, he should hibernate (my opinion).

If I have a young tortoise (right now I have two yearling Texas tortoises) I keep them up (set up indoors with lights and heat) for the first three winters with me. After three, I figure they're grown enough and strong enough to be able to hack hibernating. If I were in your shoes, with two 2 year olds, I would set them up indoors for this winter, with the goal towards allowing hibernation next winter.

You may get opposing views here, and that's fine. You need to read all the answers and figure out which would be best for you in your situation.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just putting them outside and allowing them to figure it out for themselves is like to result in their death.

You need to either get them a proper indoor set up and keep them warm and well lit all winter, or you need to hibernate them indoors under the correct conditions.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
You can go to a California Turtle and Tortoise site for directions on hibernation in a secure box, in a safe cool, area.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Hello from Las Vegas! I just dug mine out at lunch today (he'd only been in for 1 day) and brought him inside due to yesterday's crazy weather (I'm in the Summerlin area and we got hit pretty hard with really cold rain and winds). I have a feeling, and have heard the same from the meteorologists on the local news, that this winter is going to be a bit extreme temperature-wise for Vegas. More rain than usual with a legitimate chance of snow. El Nino and whatnot. My little guy is about the same age and I was thinking all summer that I could probably leave him out for the first time, but I think I'm going to wait for a winter that's predicted to be a little more temperate. I've always been a bit of a worrier when it comes to my tortoise, but I imagine if your tortoises are nice and healthy and you have a well dug burrow, then they will do what tortoises do best and survive. I don't have the experience of some of the folks on here, but I thought I'd give an opinion of someone local with a tort of approximately the same age who had to make the same decision.