Probably a stupid question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Wow this is actually a lot of good info, and now I feel less silly for asking. I think my main concern is that someone might steal one of them when they're bigger and living outside all the time. At least then I could prove ownership if one of them turned up somewhere.

-Devon

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Ok, so what about migrating? I've heard that sometimes a chip will migrate throughout the tortoise's body. Myth?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Badgemash said:
Wow this is actually a lot of good info, and now I feel less silly for asking. I think my main concern is that someone might steal one of them when they're bigger and living outside all the time. At least then I could prove ownership if one of them turned up somewhere.

-Devon

Constant nightmare of every tortoise keeper. Its not that large pyramided sulcatas are expensive or hard to come by, its that I've spent over a decade of my young life caring for them.

S

stells

Alot of species in the UK are supposed to be chipped when they reach 10 cm... most prefer to wait until the tortoise is bigger... but if selling a tortoise requiring chipping... over that size they have to be chipped... if you breed from a tortoise that requires chipping you also need to get it done... if not you can't get paperwork and sell the hatchlings...

Those of mine that have been done have had the chips put in the rear leg...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
stells said:
Alot of species in the UK are supposed to be chipped when they reach 10 cm... most prefer to wait until the tortoise is bigger... but if selling a tortoise requiring chipping... over that size they have to be chipped... if you breed from a tortoise that requires chipping you also need to get it done... if not you can't get paperwork and sell the hatchlings...

Those of mine that have been done have had the chips put in the rear leg...

I was thinking that was the case, but wasn't sure of the exact details. :tort:

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Badgemash said:

-Devon

Constant nightmare of every tortoise keeper. Its not that large pyramided sulcatas are expensive or hard to come by, its that I've spent over a decade of my young life caring for them.

Exactly, these little guys are like my children, I still wake up in the night sometimes and check on them. I hate the thought of anything bad happening to them.

-Devon

Status
Not open for further replies.