Pretend Chat 2.14

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Once my uncle took a bite of the "fancy red cheese" on a flight, he'd never seen red cheese and figured why not he was hungry... It was one of those babybell wheels... He bit the wax wrapping...
That's hysterical. My mom said I use to do that as a kid. Apparently I liked the wax. I wasn't as dumb as my brother though, he'd eat the Chapstick because "it was cherry"

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
That's hysterical. My mom said I use to do that as a kid. Apparently I liked the wax. I wasn't as dumb as my brother though, he'd eat the Chapstick because "it was cherry"
He just didn't know it was wax lol. Wax is fun to chew on. I used to make wax "retainers" out of parfin wax I have....
Can't say I ever ate Chapstick on purpose though, even flavored girly lip balm crap tasted gross.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Speaking of laptop food incidents I had an interesting one earlier this week... Don't leave stuff in hot cars!!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431096940.477862.jpg

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Not sure that Kevin (like most of us here) lives entirely in the real world.
But this story's true and wonderful.

I live in the real world, I'm just glad I have the pleasure to work for someone who 'gets it' and values me as an employee. I work very hard for him and make him good money. Im the first to show up and the last to leave, all of my customers love me. Last year I needed a minor knee surgery and was putting it off. he asked me why I wasn't getting it done yet and I told him that I couldn't miss work and the project I was working on had stairs and I couldn't use stairs for 4 weeks after surgery. I only needed 8 weeks to wrap that project up so I waited 8 weeks for the surgery. I didn't want to put my boss or my customer in a bind or me have to burn up all my vacation time so I waited for that project to be done. Because I did that my boss paid the $1500 co-pay/deductible that I needed for my insurance company. I didn't ask him for that, he just did it.

A year before that I showed up to find a $500 prepaid American Express card sitting on my desk. Apparently the boss had racked up a bunch of points on his card and couldn't find anything he wanted so he got everyone in the office a $500 gift card.

Last September I went to him and asked for him to consider me for a raise. I told him I wouldn't be upset if he said no but I wanted him to consider it. Not only did he give me a raise but he gave everyone a raise and gave me more than I was asking for and I wasn't asking for a small amount, I was looking for a decent raise and ended up with a huge raise.

I ***** and moan about how much I work and listen to my wife complain about how I'm never home but I get taken care of by my boss and just wanted to give him credit where credit is due. My last place worked me twice as hard as this guy does for half the pay and never got a single perk. I do wish I could spend more time with my family because time is something you can never get back but I'm the sole provider for my family of 6 plus I have to help my mom and my mother in law.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
@Jacqui :

You can't just pop in with a "good morning" then leave. Please tell us what happened with the flooding. Did it reach your house? Are your animals ok?

lots of fences damaged or gone. I am betting my frig and freezer may be toast to. Lots of small damage. My animal food supply is gone. Of course the gardens are gone. The planters that did not disappear have loss their soil. Like I said lots of small stuff and huge amounts of cleanup.
I am okay, just worn out and very emotional. The water only got the garage and all the porches a which are like enclosed rooms and the storage room. At this point still no electricity, it is on, but not working. Under the house is still flooded. I know some of the cats tried to hide under there and of course have drown. I got all the tortoises in, but not my red eared sliders and snapper are gone

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nor sure how I managed to get the first part down to be the last.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
which are like enclosedrooms and the storage room. At this point still no electricity, it is on, but not working. Under the house is still flooded. I know some of the cats tried to hide under there and of course have drown. I got all the tortoises in, but not my red eared sliders and snapper are gone

lots of fences damaged or ghone. I am betting my frig and freezer may be toast to. Lots of small damage. My animal food supply is gone. Of course the gardens are gone. The planters that did not disappear have loss their soil. Like I said lots of small stuff and huge amounts of cleanup.
I am okay, just worn out and very emotional. The water only got the garage and all the porches a
That sucks that you lost some animals. Are you sure they're gone

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
lots of fences damaged or gone. I am betting my frig and freezer may be toast to. Lots of small damage. My animal food supply is gone. Of course the gardens are gone. The planters that did not disappear have loss their soil. Like I said lots of small stuff and huge amounts of cleanup.
I am okay, just worn out and very emotional. The water only got the garage and all the porches a which are like enclosed rooms and the storage room. At this point still no electricity, it is on, but not working. Under the house is still flooded. I know some of the cats tried to hide under there and of course have drown. I got all the tortoises in, but not my red eared sliders and snapper are gone

Do you have the type of insurance that covers flooding?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I live in the real world, I'm just glad I have the pleasure to work for someone who 'gets it' and values me as an employee. I work very hard for him and make him good money. Im the first to show up and the last to leave, all of my customers love me. Last year I needed a minor knee surgery and was putting it off. he asked me why I wasn't getting it done yet and I told him that I couldn't miss work and the project I was working on had stairs and I couldn't use stairs for 4 weeks after surgery. I only needed 8 weeks to wrap that project up so I waited 8 weeks for the surgery. I didn't want to put my boss or my customer in a bind or me have to burn up all my vacation time so I waited for that project to be done. Because I did that my boss paid the $1500 co-pay/deductible that I needed for my insurance company. I didn't ask him for that, he just did it.

A year before that I showed up to find a $500 prepaid American Express card sitting on my desk. Apparently the boss had racked up a bunch of points on his card and couldn't find anything he wanted so he got everyone in the office a $500 gift card.

Last September I went to him and asked for him to consider me for a raise. I told him I wouldn't be upset if he said no but I wanted him to consider it. Not only did he give me a raise but he gave everyone a raise and gave me more than I was asking for and I wasn't asking for a small amount, I was looking for a decent raise and ended up with a huge raise.

I ***** and moan about how much I work and listen to my wife complain about how I'm never home but I get taken care of by my boss and just wanted to give him credit where credit is due. My last place worked me twice as hard as this guy does for half the pay and never got a single perk. I do wish I could spend more time with my family because time is something you can never get back but I'm the sole provider for my family of 6 plus I have to help my mom and my mother in law.
Bless you.
This is delightful.
Fair play to you and your boss.