Post your box turtle enclosures! Post input!

Running Elk

5 Year Member
So I have acquired some new turtles while on a long vacation -- two LTCs and a supposedly captive bred. I really want to build a larger/better enclosure upon my return home. My friend (a botanist who was also my boss at a local nature center -- well versed in wildlife) has some land -- in the woods and a field, and we are going to put the enclosure on her land because she wants to add a few rescued turtles who cannot be re-released into the enclosure too -- plus she has so much more room and privacy than I have in my current living situation. Budget permitting, I can go nuts with space if build at her place. She has wild EBTs on her land, and she has seen a hawk pick one up and drop it to crack it's shell and eat it right in her driveway -- so it's IMPERATIVE that this enclosure is predator proof/has a top -- I don't feel like I can or should try to get away with it not having some sort of top. However a large space will limit having a top -- as it would need extra support I presume.

I am brainstorming and I really want to see other people's enclosures, as well as tips and experiences on building -- I want cheap but efficient ideally. I really want to not cut corners (unless they're really okay to cut) with the new outdoor enclosure. I don't want it to be TOO expensive, because I will be leaving behind VA in as soon as a year (but could be longer), and my turtles will be coming with me but obviously the enclosure will not be and another will need to be built. However I don't want it to be flimsy, as my friend will be using it after I'm gone.

I have some specific questions, like:

What is a good way to make a large enclosure that also features a top? Like....if I made a 30ft x 30ft enclosure, for example, how on earth could I keep raptors and raccoons out?

What are the best materials to use?

What plants should I put in there (southern East Coast climate -- I tried hibiscus that was supposedly hardy to colder temps and they absolutely failed.)

Should I put in a shallow pond with a pump? If so, should I use a solar pump instead of an electric pump? (I do know basically how to build/install a pond, but tips are still welcome)

What's the easiest way to make it dig-proof when at a large size?

Should the enclosure be in the wooded area, the field, or the edge of both? (consider that the wooded area will affect the shape and the top I am able to provide)

Post your pics, ideas, blueprints, experiences, opinions, etc -- I want to hear them!

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So FL
I start projects like these thinking about the dimensions of the supplies. An example is: plywood comes 4x8, hardware but cloth comes in rolls that are 3feet wide. I opted to use hardware cloth on the bottom so I made my enclosures 3 feet or 6 feet wide. I then made the tops out of hardware cloth using 3 feet dimensions. My 6x10 enclosure has a 3 foot x10 foot lid that opens and the rest is solid wood used for decks. I use 2 2x10s for the front, sides and back. It works with minimal cutting I will take photos later.
You could make a very long enclosure that's 6 feet wide with some solid roof sections and lots of framed hardware cloth lids that open. It could be as long as you can afford.

Here is the smaller one I built. It's 3 feet wide by 5 feet long and 1 foot tall.
3e4c4e1c4e19851d881dea48acf34079_zps20c5f21a.jpg

299eb447a9487311ba8acb24c075d738_zpsda741b22.jpg

There are great video examples on YouTube of other peoples enclosures. I goigke lots of photos as well.

Running Elk

5 Year Member
Wow, I like that. It's simple and safe -- how many do you keep in there? It kind of reminds me of the pre-made tortoise enclosures, although I'm sure those are smaller and much less economical then building your own.

What plants do you have in there that are safe but won't grow super high?

The placement of your enclosure gives me an idea of where to build mine. Thank you.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I use spider plants, Boston Fern and wandering jew because I'm in a subtropical area. I have three 4 inch box turtles in there now. It's very deep with mulch because they borrow down so much. Often I only see their heads out. My 6x10 enclosure has three 5-6 inch redfoots in it. The box turtles will get the bigger enclosure next spring.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hardware cloth also comes in other wimps, I found some that 4 feet wide for mine closure. I found a picture of one online once that may work well for you. I will keep looking forward to see if I can download it here. But basically it was a total of 2 feet tall the bottom foot being a 2 x 12 and the top foot been hardware cloth and then hardware cloth over the top. I'm sorry I can't seem to explain it better, it probably was not the cheapest pen ever created but it would last for years if you get pressure-treated wood. Try googling it under outdoor Tortoise enclosures and see what comes up. This would allow you to plant more plants make hills and the pond etc. I wish I would have done that for my enclosure, mine is only 1 foot tall with hardware cloth below and for the lid.

AZTorts

Arizona
Here is my box turtle/desert tortoise enclosure. Until two months ago it was all for the two boxies but then I acquired 4 baby AZ desert tortoises so I had to divide a section off for them. Part of it is completely enclosed with a roof. The garden part that the turtles have access to does not have a top on it. It starts off with the tortoise section...