Poorly cared for sulcata advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
A friend was given a poorly cared for sulcata last week. I haven't seen it yet, but she said it is horribly pyramided, barely eating (was fed only iceberg), and has trouble walking around. I guess it had no heat for at least three weeks - maybe more - and the temps have been down to the 40's at night! So far she is doing all she can ... keeping him warm, providing UV light, and trying to get him to eat better. She is wondering if he's going to make it at all. His shell is hard, but she is worried about the way he can't get walk well. Perhaps permanent damage has been done?

I keep several kinds of tortoise, but have no sulcatas, so I'm not sure what other advice to give her. When (if) he gets better she will also be looking for a good home for her is anyone is interested.

Thanks for any info you can give me to pass on to her.

moswen

5 Year Member
oh how sad!! how big is it? is it too big for a baby carrot food soak? my sulcatas seem to love carrots, and that baby food soak just works miracles! the smell is just to tantalizing to resist.

does it have trouble walking around because the pyramiding is so bad it's deformed the shell? or is it like, some underlying problem? when was the last time it had a bowel movement? are the back legs moving poorly? it could have some impactation that it can't poop out. soak it in some slightly-warmer-than-comfortable water in a clear container, this always gets my torts on a quick move, and gets them to poo pretty fast if have an upcoming vet visit.

feed him lots of (i'd say almost exclusively, but you really just want him to start eating anything) opuntia and aloe, this will help him pass any blockages if he has any, which may be leading to the constricting movements...

was he kept outside? could he have suffered some damage from animals, or falling objects, or accidentally being stepped on on his legs, maybe breakding some bones or something, and they've healed badly?

poor guy! i'm so glad he was rescued. your friend has a good heart.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It is probably a result of MBD. In older tortoises it affects the back legs first. It can be corrected if it isn't too severe, and he can be made more comfortable.

If you don't have access to aloe or optunia, feed canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not pie filling.)

Next is to start a strict calcium and Vitamin D3 regimen. A good MVB light is absolutely essential. The best way to up the calcium absorption for the first few months is to dust ALL the food with calcium powder with D3.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Has she gotten him warmed up, maybe a heating pad to help warm him up from the underside! Poor thing! I put mineral oil in Daisy Lou's food to help her pass some stones that she has had. Maybe add a little of that to the food to help lubricate the insides. I wish your friend lots of luck, please keep us posted on how he is doing! Aloe vera is like crack at my house, I can send her some if she does not have any!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Have you found anything else out about the Sulcata yet? How old? How big?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
That sounds just like Lana when I got her. There is hope, Lana could not hold her own weight and walk do to MBD and poor diet. I hand feed her and forced water down her. Proper heat and UVA/UVB and calcium. I crawled on my knees and forced her to walk for several days. Now 5 months later she is doing great. She walks without shaking now and eats like a pig. I hope your friend gets the same results.

M

Maggie Cummings

Sounds like MBD and with lots of calcium and good food he will improve. So feed him good and sprinkle calcium powder on his food and keep him warm and he'll improve...

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Where is this poor fella located? Lots of good advice above, tell your friend good luck.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Like what others have said, lots of calcium is essential. Also give her time outdoors if the weather allows; it'll probably perk up her appetite and help with the MBD.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
motero said:
Where is this poor fella located? Lots of good advice above, tell your friend good luck.

We are located in So Cal. She is looking for a great home for him with lots of space. If you (or anyone else is interested please PM me and I will forward your email to her. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.