Pooping Hinge backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hi
I was wondering if these tortoises in particular, poop as a defense or stress response?
I soak mine for a while to ensure they are hydrated as they are new to me and they produce more poops than I would have imagined possible. The first poops are more formed and as expected and the later ones are less digested it seems.

Sorry to post a smelly subject:p

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
FernandoM said:
Stress definitely. I can't say a defense mechanism :p

So should I quit soaking them or just make sure its not too often and hope they hydrated.
the previous owner soaked them a lot and even gave them heat whilst they were in the water (yes major electrical risk there!) she said they loved their soaks so I guess I just did the same for them aside from the light over the water!
Thanks

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I would not stop entirely, no.

How often do you soak them? Do you know the temp of the water they are soaking in? Depending on how many times you do it, do they poop EVERY time? Do they hydrate themselves at all? (water bowl available?)

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
FernandoM said:

How often do you soak them? Do you know the temp of the water they are soaking in? Depending on how many times you do it, do they poop EVERY time? Do they hydrate themselves at all? (water bowl available?)

I have done it once a week so far and lots of pooping and drinking too. I have to keep changing their water. I have always soaked torts in warm water(comfortable for humans-not just tepid a little warmer than that) so they are able to relax.

My red foots seem to sunbathe in water and my old Hermanns loved it too.
I just didn't see the compulsive pooping before, although they all poop in water which I think is normal right?Years back I was encouraged to give all torts an opportunity to soak.

Thanks

Tortoise said:
FernandoM said:

I have done it once a week so far and lots of pooping and drinking too. I have to keep changing their water. I have always soaked torts in warm water(comfortable for humans-not just tepid a little warmer than that) so they are able to relax.

My red foots seem to sunbathe in water and my old Hermanns loved it too.
I just didn't see the compulsive pooping before, although they all poop in water which I think is normal right?Years back I was encouraged to give all torts an opportunity to soak.

Thanks

Yes I think all torts need access to water bowls so they always have water inside and outside

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I honestly don't see too much of a problem myself. I don't have hinge backs, but I would assume that if they are only getting soaked once a week and it initially comes out some what solid, there isn't too much of a problem. They are active, eating, POOPING, and are getting enough sun....? I don't see anything wrong myself...but If someone else has something else to say they'll jump in shortly. :)

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
FernandoM said:
I honestly don't see too much of a problem myself. I don't have hinge backs, but I would assume that if they are only getting soaked once a week and it initially comes out some what solid, there isn't too much of a problem. They are active, eating, POOPING, and are getting enough sun....? I don't see anything wrong myself...but If someone else has something else to say they'll jump in shortly. :)

Thanks FernandoM
Yes they are eating well, outside on and off as the temperatures permit and relatively quiet indoors, like to sit under the heat emitter -temps are in the 80's.They roam around outside more but then hide from the sun after they sun bathe and warm up.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I don't do the soaks any more, as mine all are spending enough time on their own in the water. When I did the soaks, mine always seemed to eliminate. To me that's good. It's lets you see what they are doing, plus if they are able to eliminate waste each time it means they are eating and they are not plugged up. It usually means once they are out of the water, they are ready to dig into their next meal. :tort:

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Some of what a tortoise should pass should be undigested fibrous material. Roughage is a part of their diet and fiber is what helps keep the digestive system in balance. I would not be overly concerned.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Hi everybody
Thank you very much for taking time to answer my dirty question:p

I appreciate your time and experiences and I shall keep soaking once a week I think so I know they are functioning normally and I can get a good look at them too. Their pen stays cleaner too but that is not a big deal.
I really appreciate this forum
Thanks so much:):):)

Louise

Status
Not open for further replies.