Aquatic turtle need some help

hogluvr

Location (City and/or State)
Berea, Ohio
So I came to this forum because I became the dad of some baby Sulcatas and was looking for the best way to care for them (BTW they appear to be thriving so far). Well this morning this little dude (or dudette?) literally walked into my life, almost ran them over with my car! I brought it home and I’m in the process of finding the best way to care for them. I’m in Ohio so I believe this is a Midland Painted Turtle, haven’t dealt with an aquatic turtle since I was gifted with a dime store red eared slider as a kid. Looking for the best way to set up a home for them, what sort of diet, and what sex? Signs point to male but why would they be out crossing the road other than to nest?

Attachments

• IMG_5424.jpeg
    IMG_5424.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5423.jpeg
    IMG_5423.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5428.jpeg
    IMG_5428.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Looking for the best way to set up a home for them, what sort of diet, and what sex?
Could you post some pics of the turtles underside so someone experienced could sex it? (I personally don't know anything about water turtles, but I am sure more photos would help others to sex it and confirm the species.)

As far as keeping it, I can't say much of anything other than don't you still need a permit to keep midland painted turtles in Ohio?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sure looks like a male with those front claws!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Male Midland Painted Turtle. Possibly was walking about looking for a mate. The tub in which it is pictured is far too small for a turtle of that size. Hopefully it is only a temporary thing while you set up a much larger aquatic environment. Note that keeping aquatic turtles is much more work than keeping tortoises (and more odorous as well).

In reality, the best thing you could do for that turtle is to take him back to the exact same spot where you found him and put him in the nearest body of water.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
As Zovic said.. i would find the nearest body of water where u found him and release him.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
And if you really want one it is very cheap to purchase a cbb specimen