Pond for yellow eared sliders

Brent_vdw

Hello everyone,

I have 2 yellow eared sliders in an aquarium inside but I think its much better for them to put them in a larger pond where they have a big sandbox and basking area. But the problem is that it is to cold, I live in Belgium (europe). Some people put them in a pond only for the summer and then in an aquarium inside. Some people let even them in the winter outside but at some ponds they die and some not. But I want them to be in a pond Always... I was thinking to make a glass room (I dont know how to say it in English, I uploaded a picture of it :$ ). And then I can make it big enough so I can put more turtles in it. I know a vet who every year get lost turtles and he is going to call me when he get one and he is going to give to me for free :). Mayby I can even have water turtles and turtoises together at one place :)

But I dont know if this all is possible, thats why I visited this website!
My questions are:
-It can be really hot in the glass room in the summer. Can the turtles live with that?
-From how big I can put turtles in the pond?
-I can heat the glass room but how warm can the room be at his lowest?
-I want to make a place with sand, are the turtoise ok with that?
-Can tortoises and normal waterturtles live together (I want a small kind of turtoises)
-the turtles need some kind of vitamines of the sun, can they have that through the glass?

If I can have a answer on this quastions, that would be great!! Sorry for my English and dont forget to check out the example of the glass room at the bothem of the page !! :)
naamloos.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I love your glass room! Here in the states we call that a green house. You can grow really nice plants in there, however, it does get pretty hot inside in the summer. But you can add a fan at one end and keep a door open at the other end to push the warm air out. I like the idea of having a pond in there. As long as you make sure the tortoise can't drown in the pond, it would be ok.

Brent_vdw

Exactly, in the summer I can open a door and I can place some big reeds or cane to make some shadow.
I dont think I am going to have tortoises in the same place as the turtles...
I want to make my pond big enough so my water turtles can be happy :)