RED EAR SLIDERS IN POND

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
i have adopted two Red Ear Sliders (they are around 5 to 5 1/2 inches in size). They are living in my outside pond. I live in Southern California in Alta Loma (North of the Ontario Airport). Can they spend the winter in the pond without the cold weather making them sick?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Yes if you don't feed them . Cause they are cold blooded that means they need heat to brake down the food .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As long as the pond doesn't freeze solid, they will be fine if left out there. I have several that hibernate in my pond in Central CA.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have kept red-eared sliders in my outdoor pond in Southern California for 30 years, to date never lost 1 during winter time

Lemonade

5 Year Member
Several years ago, I kept a small pond on the shady side of the yard, and it did freeze over--yikes! But the turtles in my big pond on the sunny side have the pond have thrived year-round for about 7 years now.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Several years ago, I kept a small pond on the shady side of the yard, and it did freeze over--yikes! But the turtles in my big pond on the sunny side have the pond have thrived year-round for about 7 years now.

Can you share pics please?