Please help... Hermann's or Horsefield?

Heather2131

Hi all, I'm new on here and I'm having trouble identifying whether this tortoise is a Hermann's or a Horsefield
I've tried to research it and I just can't identify him at all
IMG_20170211_232326_313.JPG

Berkeley

Hi Heather,
That is a Hermann's Tortoise. Russians (Horsfield's) will be pretty circular looking from above (like a little hamburger) and have four claws on the front foot.
--Berkeley

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Hermans. Russians look like this.daycare 011.JPG
AKA: Hamburger. :D Your tortoise is very beautiful, but is in need of a beak trim.

Heather2131

Thanks guys
I feel daft now as I did read that Hermann's have 5 toes but I for some reason had it in my head that he had 4 toes yet looked like a Hermann's... That's why I've been so confused. I now realise he has 5 :eek: haha

He isn't actually mine but I have somehow became his carer now, I've known him since he was a baby
Tortoises aren't usually my thing, i'm into parrots! I have a parrot and hoping to get another one in the spring, so I'm pretty good at exotic pet care

And thanks, I will look into a beak trim! We call him Mr. Torty :tort:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
It looks to me like his beak is pretty long? That can make eating harder for him. You can feed him on a piece of slate to help wear it down. Or folks here can advise you on how to give it a trim.