plantain ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
OK ...I went for a hike in the woods today to collect some pine hay, and picked some broad leaf plantain (at least I think it is). Some of it had seeds too. Could you let me know if this is it? I'm looking for it because Kristina said it was a good source of Vit. A. I hope this is it. I washed it and put it in Solo's viv.
013-28.jpg

These are the seeds that were growing with it.
027-14.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes thats Greater Plantain Terry :)

Danny

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I have been feeding that one and the other with the thiner leaves to Shelby but she does not seem keen on it she will eat a bit of it but will go for the other weeds i give her first and when ever i fed it i can garrentee i will be throwing most of it away at the end of the day, but i still put it in there as i know is really good for her i just try to make sure i do not put her favourite (dandiloin) in at the same time or she will not touch it lol

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
That is exactly the way to do it, Tracy :) They won't starve themselves, so as long as a "favorite" isn't in the mix, they should eat at least some of it :)

I dry it too and sprinkle it on other foods, especially in the winter time when they don't get to graze outside and eat mostly grocery store greens.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
kyryah said:
That is exactly the way to do it, Tracy :) They won't starve themselves, so as long as a "favorite" isn't in the mix, they should eat at least some of it :)

I dry it too and sprinkle it on other foods, especially in the winter time when they don't get to graze outside and eat mostly grocery store greens.

I will have to try that i am dreading winter.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
My torts love it. Plant the seeds in your enclosure or grow it in pots :)

chadk

10 Year Member!
I have lots of plantain in the yard. A few varieties. My torts prefer the dandilion, grasses, and clover over the plantian. For those indoors, they pick eat the plantain last when I have a bundle of weeds for them to eat. But I keep giving it to them for variety. Sometimes I just give them plantain and the eat it, just not as eagerly...

S

stells

Plantain grows like wildfire here... it is also a great fibre food and is one i feed regularly...

Status
Not open for further replies.