Is this plantain?

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, New York
I saw this growing in front of my property and was wondering what it was. It looks like plantain, I think.

Attachments

• IMG_1452.JPG
    IMG_1452.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 45

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Not to me, but it's a little dark in the picture and I don't get much plantain where I am.

Looks like possibly something in the aster family (generally safe). Can you get a brighter picture and hopefully also one of a single leaf flat on a piece of paper or countertop? That will help us get a good sense of the shape of the leaf. Grab one of the bigger leaves.

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
Not to me, but it's a little dark in the picture and I don't get much plantain where I am.

Looks like possibly something in the aster family (generally safe). Can you get a brighter picture and hopefully also one of a single leaf flat on a piece of paper or countertop? That will help us get a good sense of the shape of the leaf. Grab one of the bigger leaves.

Will do! I'll take one tomorrow morning

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I saw this growing in front of my property and was wondering what it was. It looks like plantain, I think.

Looks like dandelion family. Most common species will have round leaves. Some have longer leaves, but a bit harder to ID because they can be confused with other weeds, until they develop seeding spears.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492372015.814952.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492372031.898000.jpg

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
It's grown a bit since I last took a photo, but I believe I've finally identified it as Catsear (Hypochaeris radicata) or "false dandelion". The picture below is exactly what it looks like now. Sorry for never posting an updated photo.

flatweed leaves N2.jpg

catsear-uses.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is another plant that can be confusing without photographic clarification.
Years ago I planted plantain and regularly cut up leaves for my tortoises. They never ate it.
It was plantain in a south Florida sense. A plant a lot like a banana. Six feet tall.
This went on for about 2 years.