Plant Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

laramie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi everyone,
I am starting to construct Wilbur's outdoor enclosure and I would love your imput. I am making a list of the plants and I want to know what plants do you have..in your tort's outdoor enclosure? The more feedback the better. Thanks in advance everyone:D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I like hibiscus, figs, and grapevines

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
grapevines, spurge (the good one),grass, autumn sage, apricot mallow, black medic, dandelion (just starting to take root so we will see come spring) plantain, and a multitude of high desert native ground cover/mini bushes, creosote, rabbit bush/sage, strawberry plant, tumbleweed (which sounds silly but they come each year no matter what but luckily they are useful to the torts for shelter, uh but don't plant them on purpose LOL) hibiscus was planted this year so we will see how she does by next spring...I have a few packets of mojave wildflower seed mixes that I will spread near the end of this month in each of their yards...and will hope for the best....

Good luck and happy planting :D:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The links page of the Library, below, has several links to good and unsafe plants you can consider.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I struggle with this one too and don't have the answers. I've got all sorts of plants for food; cactus, mulberry trees, hibiscus, grape vines, weeds, grass, etc... But I don't have good info for decorative bushes and shrubs to put in with them that will survive the harsh, hot, dry, elements in AZ or here AND be non-toxic.

I'd love to know of some shrubs or bushes that will survive in full sun in 110 degree, single digit humidity.

I usually look around to see what lives around here and try to somehow get it growing where I want it.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Tom said:
But I don't have good info for decorative bushes and shrubs to put in with them that will survive the harsh, hot, dry, elements in AZ or here AND be non-toxic.

i'd love to know of some shrubs or bushes that will survive in full sun in 110 degree, single digit humidity.

Thank you everyone for all your tips. Tom, I have a gardener who is helping me out with what are the best bushes and shrubs and flowers.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Fountain grass is my personal favorite. It doesn't do much for food purposes, but for shade and security, it's gotta be the best thing besides a tree. Plus it looks nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.