Plant tips

I want to make Cirby's enclosure as great as the ones I see here. What are the best and safest plants to use in her outdoor enclosure? Every time I plant one, she eats it up before it can get it growing. Any ideas?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kristen:

I'm always amazed at the beautiful and well-planted enclosures pictured here on the Forum. Mine start out that way, but like yours, within a week or so are all bare and messed up. I try to stick with safe plants that are hard to eat. Little haworthia or yucca look nice and are hard for the babies to bite. However, they really don't do well in a wet substrate. So what I've done to try to fix this problem is to have a bunch of safe plants all potted up and waiting on stand-by. When the habitat is demolished, I just replant it.

You can also keep them in the pot and just sink the pot down into the substrate.

Hosta, any of the pansies or violas, violets, spider plants, jade plants. There are a whole lot of edible house plants.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Here's my current plants that are grown outside the enclosure. Clover, grasses, grazing tortoise mix, chard, green/red leaf lettuce, kale, baby lettuce, dandelion, cauliflower, mustard greens, and cabbage are growing here. It's not all for the tortoise. :) I treated the dirt with steer manure and mulch and planted the seeds about a month ago.

Attachments

• 1414010530914.jpg
    1414010530914.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 32

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Oh no, every time I try a plant inside, it's dead within the day! Outside is moderately okay, but my sulcata will barrel over that stuff like it doesn't even exist! :rolleyes:
Big, tall grasses provide shade and most can be snacked on... hardier too!

Cirby bowls over pots too. shed a sulcaytoo.
I will try the plants you all suuested. Hopely I will find success.
Thanks for the info.