Pit Bull put to death for... being a Pit Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
reticguy76 said:
The lacey act (if you read deep into it) was from mostly human error and stupidity (of course the main reason is government control, but that is getting into the political aspect of these things, which is off topic).

People getting burms (not only in Florida but other states as well) not really realizing whats all truly involved in keeping/raising them and they either let them go, or they conveniently "escape". And when they do truly escape or become to aggressive for them to handle , its from improper care and environment, therefore they either escape or are let go because the owners couldnt handle them anymore and too lazy to take it to a reptile shelter. It all comes back to us. animals rely on us to give them proper lives, environment and care, if/when we dont, things get bad. With all animals

Yup, i am just glad that for now we can still get the larger monitors and tortoises, as well as retics and green anacondas :D

reticguy76

5 Year Member
They will be on there at some point. Just a matter of how long we can keep the law at bay from going into affect.

They want some dog breeds on there as well, as well as small mammals. mostly non-native animals/wildlife is their immediate goal.

Anyway, back more on topic. I have much respect for peoples thoughts, beliefs and opinions on such things as this pit bull thread. I just accept it a little better when its backed up with true without a doubt fact (such as personal experience), not finding a source on google and retyping it or pasting it and saying, here is the proof.

I respect everybodys true opinions for themselves though

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
CLMoss said:
I am just STUNNED about how little you know about a pet that you live with. I hope that you are better read at caring for your tortoises. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! Are you under the impression that neuter is just to keep a dog from breeding?

I am just STUNNED about how little you know about a pet that you live with. I hope that you are better read at caring for your tortoises. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! Are you under the impression that neuter is just to keep a dog from breeding?

Really?!? STUNNED? I hope ur not talking about me... And if u r referring to him, I believe his own personal experience speaks volumes on the breed. He's got REAL LIFE experience, do u?!?

CLMoss said:

And if not, where do u get ur info from?!?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Neutering is to help calm them down (attitude wise) reduce chances of sexual organ cancer and bring down hormone levels (in all breeds, pit bulls have no higher testosterone than any other).

Now, where did you read that they will get aggressive later in life ? thats the biggest pile of crap ive ever heard.

Aggressive behavior can start at any age, anytime.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes it can, but if its going to be a problem, you normally see it by the age of 2 1/2 to 3 years of age. Neutered or not, they are sexually mature and coming thier own. i cant tell you how many bite reports Ive taken for dogs who have "never done this before' and the age is about 3. Or you get the older cranky dogs with arthritis or illness..

My two Shep mixes... both females.. all was great until the younger one wanted to gain dominance. Thats when I learned a lot about Pack mentality and how important a role WE play in that as well. Its pretty simple,, in dogs terms.. but we humans don't think like dogs and it can be hard. Some people never get it and are a huge cause of many problems with thier dogs. Not neccassarily thier fault.. but kinda is if they refuse to listen and learn.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am the pack leader.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
As the blessed owner of a wonderful Pittie I find this appalling.
And I have been following this story.
And the fact they had the dog DNA'ed and there was no proof of Pit Bull blood in it. I find it totally fish and appalling they were not even allowed to say their good byes nor retrieve the body after.
They were told they would get ashes in the mail later.
No way to see the condition of the dog.
THAT being said I also feel the owners didn't do the dog justice.
We all know one can 'Kill an animal with love'
Be it holding on to it when you need to really rehome it.
Over feeding treats and causing obesity.
Lennox was in a kennel during 2 years of legal battle.
As a former dog rescue volunteer do you have any idea what kenneling
does to a dog mentally? I have no doubt after so long being kenneled
had they gotten him back chances are VERY strong he would not have
the same personality. Extended kenneling is known to cause depression and aggression in animals. If it had been me after 3 or 4 months I would of just allowed them to put him down. Maybe 6 months max. But I would not allow an animal to be caged/kenneled for 2 yrs.
RIP Dear Lennox

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Blessed3x said:
As the blessed owner of a wonderful Pittie I find this appalling.
And I have been following this story.
And the fact they had the dog DNA'ed and there was no proof of Pit Bull blood in it. I find it totally fish and appalling they were not even allowed to say their good byes nor retrieve the body after.
They were told they would get ashes in the mail later.
No way to see the condition of the dog.
THAT being said I also feel the owners didn't do the dog justice.
We all know one can 'Kill an animal with love'
Be it holding on to it when you need to really rehome it.
Over feeding treats and causing obesity.
Lennox was in a kennel during 2 years of legal battle.
As a former dog rescue volunteer do you have any idea what kenneling
does to a dog mentally? I have no doubt after so long being kenneled
had they gotten him back chances are VERY strong he would not have
the same personality. Extended kenneling is known to cause depression and aggression in animals. If it had been me after 3 or 4 months I would of just allowed them to put him down. Maybe 6 months max. But I would not allow an animal to be caged/kenneled for 2 yrs.
RIP Dear Lennox

That's what I was thinking. The temperament of this dog totally went down the drain after the first 6 months of kenneling. Even if he was freed, he would not have been a stable dog.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I was looking at the humane society web site today and out of about 14 dogs looking for homes about 11 were pitts. This tells me that people are not responsible about breeding pitts or getting them. I know this is a little O/T but, this is awful and sad.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Angi said:
I was looking at the humane society web site today and out of about 14 dogs looking for homes about 11 were pitts. This tells me that people are not responsible about breeding pitts or getting them. I know this is a little O/T but, this is awful and sad.

I guarantee you only 2 or 3 of those Dogs are actually "Pit Bulls", and the rest are mixed breed animals if that......That is sad......

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I could show you hundreds of photos just like that from dog attacks that were NOT pit bulls. No one is saying that every pit bull is an angel and they never do anything wrong. What I am saying is that they are just a dog, like any other dog. They are capable of greatness. They are capable of mayhem. They are NOT the villains with super aggression and enormous bite strength, that they are made out to be. When I was first learning to train dogs, back in the early 90's, I would go to local "dog parks" with no dog and just observe. I was trying to learn how to read dogs. I figured if I could learn to read their signals and body language with each other, that I could gain insight into how to better communicate with them. I saw dog aggression around every 15-20 minutes. I saw blood drawn about every 2 hours, and I saw one dog get killed. There was a pack of about 10-12 dogs running around the park together, seeming to have a great time. There were no pitbulls in the park at all this day. Just a wide variety of other breeds and mixes. At the head of this pack was a border collie mix and at the rear was a Yorkie. All had been going fine for 10 or fifteen minutes. The pack ran around together and played, the owners smiled approvingly. Suddenly, without any warning, the lead dog stopped in his tracks, ran back through the pack, seized the hapless yorkie and started shaking him. Several other dogs, immediately joined the fray and they literally pulled the yorkie apart in seconds...

Why tell this horrible story? Dogs are dogs. They are capable of some terrible things. These issues we are discussing are not "pit bull" issues. These issues are DOG issues. I say it again, the media has overblown this "terrible pit bull menace to society" thing, as they often do.

Laura said:
Yes it can, but if its going to be a problem, you normally see it by the age of 2 1/2 to 3 years of age. Neutered or not, they are sexually mature and coming thier own. i cant tell you how many bite reports Ive taken for dogs who have "never done this before' and the age is about 3. Or you get the older cranky dogs with arthritis or illness..

My two Shep mixes... both females.. all was great until the younger one wanted to gain dominance. Thats when I learned a lot about Pack mentality and how important a role WE play in that as well. Its pretty simple,, in dogs terms.. but we humans don't think like dogs and it can be hard. Some people never get it and are a huge cause of many problems with thier dogs. Not neccassarily thier fault.. but kinda is if they refuse to listen and learn.

All of this is so true. Especially the last two sentences.

EricIvins said:
Angi said:

I guarantee you only 2 or 3 of those Dogs are actually "Pit Bulls", and the rest are mixed breed animals if that......That is sad......

Eric, I haven't even seen the pictures, but I would bet money that you are correct, given what I have seen in the past.

EricIvins said:
Angi said:

Eric, I haven't even seen the pictures, but I would bet money that you are correct, given what I have seen in the past.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
You are absolutely right about dogs being dogs; however, in this case this women was walking three pits together. This is not a responsable dog owner. Where was the information and education about this breed of dog? This experience changed this man's life and almost killed his dog. These photos don't do justice as to what this man went thru. He needed to be air-lifted to an emergency facility to be patch up. And this happened in Long Island, not here in Brooklyn.

Location, location, location: There are so many pits and pit mixes here. It is a problem. The ones that are lucky make it to a shelter (which are filled up with pits & pit mixes by 98%) spend years in a cage and others are thrown in the street to fend for themselves. What happens when they need to fend for themselves is they seek out other small pet to eat and sometimes children & adults are attacked. Due to the pit "culture" here, dog owners are afraid to let their dogs in their own backyard, fearing that they will be stolen and used for "bait" for pit fights. The pits that are lucky enough to be adopted manage to live in a home environment until it snaps at a family member and is put down.

Just yesterday I spoke to my friend who recently adopted a mini-pig named DeDe. Leslie (who is very active in the pet industry) was fostering 3 young JR mixes. She ran out of the house to do some shopping and came back to a half dead pig that was attacked by these JR mixes. This happened Wednesday, and DeDe will spend the next ten days at the vet hospital and may lose her leg. As our conversation continued, she told me about her friend who came home to discover that he three legged pit had attacked her smaller dog. Needless to say, the pit was put down and the small dog lost his leg. Just another of the many pits that have lost their life due to the lack of education. I don't look for these stories, they come to me because of my involvement in the pet industry.

Finally, I am not blaming the pits! It is the PEOPLE that don't neuter and care for their animals. And the lack of honest education about pits or any large dogs. The pits get a bad rap here because they are the majority of large dogs here that are not cared for properly. And when they are the majority and not cared for, it effects the quality of life for people in that area. Understand that in California they are just dogs being dogs, but here they are a liability. I will reiterate that I do not hate pits! I donate money regularly to a cat and dog rescue (501c3) where at any giving time there are 96% to 99% pits and pit mixes. The conversation about pits is going in the wrong direction. It should not be if they good or bad dogs, it should be how to help educate the owner about proper ownership, socialization and the pros and cons of the breed. If pit advocates don't get on the right track about this breed of dog, more and more counties and states will ban them and/or shot them on site. And I am really sick of hearing about these pits being put down due to the fault of humans.

I hope that you now understand what I am saying, and please know that I feel passionate about any animal being put down or suffering. I just want want to see the end of blood unnecessarily being spilt.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Atra42o said:
CLMoss said:
This may be the case in the west coast; however, here in NYC it is a different story. Your clam that Pits are raised as loving pets is not true here. They are still raised for aggression. Personally I know of at least 8 victims of vicious pit attacks. In the last week there have been two attacks on children under the age of three in the New York area.

I live on the east coast in Baltimore. yes, there is a problem w/ignorant, cruel people breeding them to be aggressive fighters, but mine is not one of those, therefore, u cannot make a generalized statement saying ALL pitbulls are vicious. We know his bloodlines all the way back to the 1960's and we've known his breeder for at least 15 years (we r only 30)

CLMoss said:

Show me where I made a generalization that all pits are bad....

Atra42o said:
U guys r awesome, thanks for sticking up for me =)

I would say that it was a win-win for your old neighberhood.

reticguy76 said:
im in veterinary medicine (certified in emergency/critical care and internal medicine). Your information sources are crap.

Neutering is to help calm them down (attitude wise) reduce chances of sexual organ cancer and bring down hormone levels (in all breeds, pit bulls have no higher testosterone than any other).

Now, where did you read that they will get aggressive later in life ? thats the biggest pile of crap ive ever heard.

Aggressive behavior can start at any age, anytime.

ive only had pit bulls in my life (this is my first rescued one). They are great dogs and grow up great dogs in the right environment with the right owners. The best research is personal experience. Anybody can just write stuff (especially on the internet), doesnt make it worth jack. Ive had pitties with "genetics" from aggressive (to people and other dogs) and never once have I had one turn on any other dogs ive had in the house, on me, my family, kids. UPBRINGING AND ENVIRONMENT.

any dog can be trained and made to be aggressive, fearful or the nicest dog on the planet

And before its picked apart, what i meant by "other dogs ive had the house" was referring to friends dogs, family members dogs, etc. I have had two chihuahuas in addition to pit bulls, but had to find them new homes as they were beating my pit bull almost weekly and was constantly having to staple or suture up his dog bite wounds.

Now with all of your crap being said... Do you know what a hormone is? Did you know that testosterone is a hormone? Did they teach you when different hormones kick in? Maybe you should revisit your Bio 101.

Interesting that you needed to be certified at anything since you know everything.

Now tell me again when dogs sexually mature? Also, the difference between large and small dogs? Educate me.

Also, how much have you learned about genetics?

Maybe you are certified at cleaning kennels...

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Atra42o said:
CLMoss said:

Really?!? STUNNED? I hope ur not talking about me... And if u r referring to him, I believe his own personal experience speaks volumes on the breed. He's got REAL LIFE experience, do u?!?

CLMoss said:

Really?!? STUNNED? I hope ur not talking about me... And if u r referring to him, I believe his own personal experience speaks volumes on the breed. He's got REAL LIFE experience, do u?!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am stunned that some of these member on this thread don't even know the history of pit bulls. Personal experience is a good; however, u need to look at the big picture and do as much reading about an animal that you/one takes into their home. I am sure that this is why u joined this forum... To learn about tortoises. And I bet at this moment u know more about your tortoises behavior, biology and history than u know about your dog. But u r very smart and your theory in life is all about your personally experience and genes play no part. So I guess that when you walk into your doctors office and he ask you about your family history, you tell him/her that it is none of his business, because you are smarter than him/her. And your children don't need to go to school because they learn by watching you and your life experience. He's (his) REAL LIFE experience will not help u in the event of an emergency. I know hundreds of people in the pet industry and more pet owners who don't have an agenda; sewing back together, training, etc. And I have been on this earth a lot longer than you. That is my experience...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
On the topic of statistics being wrong, and mixed breeds, etc., I wanted to share this.

575694_4036660552848_2126780069_n.jpg

I have a dog that appears to be half-Pit. I am actually having him DNA tested to find out for sure, as I believe he is actually half-Mastiff. It is relatively inexpensive - $60.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
[/quote]

Did i take the time to read what you "wrote" no, but copy and paste is a marvelous tool isn't it? On the other hand why all the hate for pitbulls? are you one of the ignorant people that can't learn to accept things are different then what you have implanted in your mindset? or are you on here for the sake of causing arguments? Cause with either choice, may i say that you should be a statistic for why humans as a species are the most malicious, cruel, vindictive, pitiful excuse for an intelligent species. Pitbulls do NOTHING in comparison to that of humans.

[/quote]Did i take the time to read what you "wrote" no, but copy and paste is a marvelous tool isn't it? On the other hand why all the hate for pitbulls? are you one of the ignorant people that can't learn to accept things are different then what you have implanted in your mindset? or are you on here for the sake of causing arguments? Cause with either choice, may i say that you should be a statistic for why humans as a species are the most malicious, cruel, vindictive, pitiful excuse for an intelligent species. Pitbulls do NOTHING in comparison to that of humans.

may i say that you should be a statistic for why humans as a species are the most malicious, cruel, vindictive, pitiful excuse for an intelligent species.

May I say that your hostility towards me is a matter of projection... That really your mother still makes your bed. And that your sheet still have Bat Man flying to your pillows. Really the reason that you did not read what I posted is because you can not read. What have you done to earn anything is this world? Have you a least donated to this forum that has given you so much pleasure? Just asking...

[/quote]

Did i take the time to read what you "wrote" no, but copy and paste is a marvelous tool isn't it? On the other hand why all the hate for pitbulls? are you one of the ignorant people that can't learn to accept things are different then what you have implanted in your mindset? or are you on here for the sake of causing arguments? Cause with either choice, may i say that you should be a statistic for why humans as a species are the most malicious, cruel, vindictive, pitiful excuse for an intelligent species. Pitbulls do NOTHING in comparison to that of humans.

[/quote]

may i say that you should be a statistic for why humans as a species are the most malicious, cruel, vindictive, pitiful excuse for an intelligent species.

May I say that your hostility towards me is a matter of projection... That really your mother still makes your bed. And that your sheet still have Bat Man flying to your pillows. Really the reason that you did not read what I posted is because you can not read. What have you done to earn anything is this world? Have you a least donated to this forum that has given you so much pleasure? Just asking...

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska

[/quote]Did i take the time to read what you "wrote" no, but copy and paste is a marvelous tool isn't it? On the other hand why all the hate for pitbulls? are you one of the ignorant people that can't learn to accept things are different then what you have implanted in your mindset? or are you on here for the sake of causing arguments? Cause with either choice, may i say that you should be a statistic for why humans as a species are the most malicious, cruel, vindictive, pitiful excuse for an intelligent species. Pitbulls do NOTHING in comparison to that of humans.

[/quote]

You know, what i like about being a kid is that...... when you get an adult to argue with you, one such as yourself, it shows how mature they are. I mean, what adult argues with a kid, sure an occasional fight here and there with family, but a random stranger hmmmmm i just read all your posts and laugh, because i have no real point in talking to someone who argues over a topic with no knowledge or experience on, and copy/pastes things off google to make a point. Funny how you keep procrastinating on something that i said a few dys ago AND already replied too, many times, but hey, if it ruffles your jollies arguing with a child, hey not for me to judge you, but just take a second and look back, and remember who is the "adult" in this conversation here, i tried to be by not replying to you many times, but i guess that didn't work either? Oh and FYI, all the kids know that batman is out, and james heller is in, just saying LMAO.

EDIT:::::
And to add, i am new to this forum and yes people have helped me, and i have helped some people on the matters i know, your comment about me not helping anyone in return is true, but how responsible would it be for me to give advice that i have no business and or no knowledge of to people that could get better advice from other people? Not very, but i guess you just pick at everyones little impurities to start an argument, but i am shutting down here, because honestly, i don't like to deal with instigators. So Mad'am, in the british fashion I Bid You..... Good Day :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Enough! You need to remain civil to each other, please. Posts have been removed and may continue to be removed or the entire thread closed down.

... the Moderating Team

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
It is my personal opinion that people should just be educated before purchasing a dog/cat. I have met aggressive Shih tzu's and aggressive Yorkie's. Be educated on how to train your dog or hire a trainer and learn the skills needed. After reading this thread, I think we should be educated on how to treat people sometimes. This has turned into a mean thread and it makes me feel sad for those involved in "human aggression". :( We are a forum family. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.