Pit Bull put to death for... being a Pit Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Nixxy said:
Pitbulls bite force are not even close to half of that of a Kangal's, which is perfectly legal. They have record setting 700+ PSI, whereas a pitbull's average is around 235. (Shepards around 240, Rottis around 300).

True, although i have never seen kangals in my area, in fact i see more timber wolves and wolf hybrids for sale then kangals, lol i actually had to google them cause i had no idea what they were :D

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
GeoTerraTestudo said:
People have been debating "nature vs. nurture" for 2,000 years, but there is finally a consensus view, known as "nature via nurture." This means that behavior is ultimately determined by genes, but is shaped by the environment. This is why both temperament and upbringing matter in how a dog (or person, or any other animal) will behave as an adult.

And that is what I've been trying to say for my past 15 or so comments, I just can't put it as eloquently as you :) Thank you!

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Ethan D said:
CLMoss said:
reticguy76 said:
Not sure why I said "facts and gurantees mean nothing"

Facts and gurantees are generally subjective based on each persons experience to support facts and gurantees

Please supply factoid info to support that breeders breed pitties for high levels of testosterone. Its proven they have no higher levels that most other large breed animals. They are not bred to fight. Some people have and breed them and raise them to fight. Huge difference

Here I go again: History

Dog fighting is a blood sport that has been practised for centuries around the world.[1] Blood sports involving the baiting of animals has occurred since antiquity, most famously at the Colosseum in Rome during the reign of the Roman Empire. For over six hundred years the pastime flourished, reaching the peak of its popularity during the 16th century. The various animal types involved in the bait allowed for the breed specialization and basic anatomical forms of fighting dogs, which we see today.

Accounts of dog fighting in China date back to 240 A.D.[citation needed]. Dog fighting has been documented in the recorded history of many different cultures, and is presumed to have existed since the initial domestication of the species.[citation needed] Many breeds have been bred specifically for the strength, attitude, and physical features that would make them better fighting dogs.

Scholars[who?] speculate that large-scale human migration, development of trade, and gifts between royal courts of valuable fighting dogs facilitated the spread of fighting dog breeds. There are many accounts of military campaigns which used fighting dogs, as well as royal gifts in the form of large dogs.[citation needed]

[edit] History in Europe and North America

Before the 19th century, bloodsports such as bull baiting, bear baiting and **** fighting were common. Bulls brought to market were set upon by dogs as a way of tenderizing the meat and providing entertainment for the spectators; and dog fights with bears, bulls and other animals were often organized as entertainment for both royalty and commoners.

Early dogs of the bull terrier type were bred for the working characteristic known as gameness, with the pitting of dogs against bear or bull testing this attribute along with the strength and skill of the dog. These early "proto-staffords" provided the ancestral foundation stock for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the Bull Terrier, the American Pit Bull Terrier and American Staffordshire Terrier. This common ancestor was known as the "Bull and Terrier".

These bloodsports were officially eliminated in 1835 as Britain began to introduce animal welfare laws. Since dogfights were cheaper to organize and far easier to conceal from the law than bull or bear baits, bloodsport proponents turned to pitting their dogs against each other instead. Dog fighting was used as both a bloodsport (often involving gambling) and a way to continue to test the quality of their stock. For decades afterward, dog fighting clandestinely took place in pockets of working-class Britain and America. Dogs were released into a pit, and the last dog still fighting (or occasionally, the last dog surviving) was recognized as the winner.

[edit] Breed origins

The foundation breed of the fighting dog was, in its outward appearance, a large, low, heavy breed with a powerful build and strongly developed head.

Dog breeding in its earliest stages was carried out systematically, with the desire for specialization. It is believed that the development of individual breeds took place in narrow geographic areas, corresponding to the performance required in these regions. Selection for performance, complemented by the breeding for suitable body forms, led to the formation of breeds. The task of the fighting dog demands specific anatomical traits and temperamental features. The goal is to breed a dog that will attack animals but is docile and affectionate toward humans. All breeds with a character suitable for protecting humans and fighting wild animals may be considered for dogfighting. Special attention is often given to the American Pit Bull Terrier or Staffordshire Bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier.

Did i take the time to read what you "wrote" no, but copy and paste is a marvelous tool isn't it? On the other hand why all the hate for pitbulls? are you one of the ignorant people that can't learn to accept things are different then what you have implanted in your mindset? or are you on here for the sake of causing arguments? Cause with either choice, may i say that you should be a statistic for why humans as a species are the most malicious, cruel, vindictive, pitiful excuse for an intelligent species. Pitbulls do NOTHING in comparison to that of humans.

LOL! What I find so interesting is that if you read what I am writing you would learn that I am for pits (or any other animal) not being put down! That reasonable people that are able to socialize them properly should own them. That I am sick of the blood shed due to careless people. Pits are being put down here in the city everyday, so I would say that your lack of intelligent education about this bred is not working. The more you play "stupid" the more pits will get into situations were they are band in more cities and countries.

Also, you don't know me. It just so happens that I donate regularly to a rescue where 98% of the dogs that are pulled from high kill shelters are pits!

Humans, guns, etc., have nothing to do with what this thread is about.

GeoTerraTestudo said:
People have been debating "nature vs. nurture" for 2,000 years, but there is finally a consensus view, known as "nature via nurture." This means that behavior is ultimately determined by genes, but is shaped by the environment. This is why both temperament and upbringing matter in how a dog (or person, or any other animal) will behave as an adult.

We can't ignore genes or lineage when evaluating canine behavior. Wild wolves (dogs' ancestors) have a wide repertoire of behaviors for communicating friendliness, submission, aggression, and so on. Domestic dogs that have not been altered very much through selective breeding still have all these behaviors. However, more derived breeds have lost some of these behaviors, and may be more prone to fighting due to communication errors with other dogs or with people.

Add to this the fact that different breeds have been artificially selected for different roles, such as herding, guarding, and unfortunately, fighting. It is sad but true that, over the past couple centuries, some types of dogs were bred specifically to fight other dogs, or other animals like bulls, bears, etc. These were the "bull-dogs," and they were very strong and aggressive.

Today, some of these bull-type dogs have undergone selection to breed some of this aggression back out of them. This is why some of them can make good pets. An obvious example is today's English bulldog; this modern midget is a far cry from the powerful Old English bulldog, and is quite docile. However, for other breeds (pit bull, Staffordshire, American bull dog, cane corso, presa canario), there are only lines or strains that are more docile, but they still look just like their fighting stock brethren. Just by looking at them, it is virtually impossible to know how much non-fighting selection they have undergone. Some of these dogs may still carry the genes that made them good fighters: genes for aggression, tenacity, etc.

In my view, these descendants of gladiator dogs are too dangerous to be kept in typical urban and suburban environments. They may have the calm temperament of a pet, or they may retain the temperament of their fighting ancestors. And how would you know just be looking at them? You wouldn't. So, as long as they look like a bully dog, I think they are potentially dangerous. This is why I am in favor of bans on pit bulls, and even other bully breeds.

Thank you!

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Atra42o said:
Hmmmm... this thread has opened my eyes to a lot of different views, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. As my opinion is concerned, I think pitbulls make WONDERFUL family members, if u treat them right, train them, and are educated. As I said before, I'm a firm believer in "it's all in how they r raised" theory. In my case, my Diesel (my 18 month old blue Pitbull) is the smartest, friendliest (to both people and animals), sweetest, n lovable dog I have ever met, known, heard of or seen, and I'm not a so called "dog" person, but I love him to death. As I've said in previous posts, we didn't know pitbulls were banned at our old house, but as soon as we did, we moved because we didnt want to give up one of our family members. For those of u who didn't read my previous posts, I encourage u to, so that u can c the other side of pitbulls. Like I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it helps to see others points of views so u can see where they are coming from. I make sure to do it all the time, not because I feel it will help prove my pov to be the "right" way of seeing things, but because I'm genuinely interested in what they have to say =)

I am sure that your pit is wonderful; however, aggression shows up later in life. Your pit is still a very young dog and it is the pits endearing personality that makes owner feel so comfortable. You have to watch out when the pit reaches sexual maturity or older.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Sexual maturity in dogs and cats are reached at less than a year old.

Where is the info coming from . "aggression shows up later in life" etc ??

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
CLMoss said:
I am sure that your pit is wonderful; however, aggression shows up later in life. Your pit is still a very young dog and it is the pits endearing personality that makes owner feel so comfortable. You have to watch out when the pit reaches sexual maturity or older.

He's not the first pit I've owned, I've owned several who were just as mild tempered, and so has many of my family members. But he is by far the smartest, sweetest and most well behaved. I am, in no way, an amateur to raising pitbulls, American bulls, and American bull/pit mixes =) That's one of the reasons I love these breeds so much, for me, they've made the BEST family pets. Actually, Luna, my American bull dog, was so sweet that she stolen out of my back yard. I hope it was because someone wanted her so bad (she was an awesome color, all white w/a brindle patch over her left eye, similar to petey, the little rascals dog) and not for anything sinister or as bait. I like to think she's in a loving home because she deserved to be =)

reticguy76 said:

Thanks, I was curious to the source of this info too =)

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Atra42o said:
CLMoss said:

He's not the first pit I've owned, I've owned several who were just as mild tempered, and so has many of my family members. But he is by far the smartest, sweetest and most well behaved. I am, in no way, an amateur to raising pitbulls, American bulls, and American bull/pit mixes =) That's one of the reasons I love these breeds so much, for me, they've made the BEST family pets. Actually, Luna, my American bull dog, was so sweet that she stolen out of my back yard. I hope it was because someone wanted her so bad (she was an awesome color, all white w/a brindle patch over her left eye, similar to petey, the little rascals dog) and not for anything sinister or as bait. I like to think she's in a loving home because she deserved to be =)

reticguy76 said:

Thanks, I was curious to the source of this info too =)

I am just STUNNED about how little you know about a pet that you live with. I hope that you are better read at caring for your tortoises. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! Are you under the impression that neuter is just to keep a dog from breeding?

I am just STUNNED about how little you know about a pet that you live with. I hope that you are better read at caring for your tortoises. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! Are you under the impression that neuter is just to keep a dog from breeding?

reticguy76

5 Year Member
im in veterinary medicine (certified in emergency/critical care and internal medicine). Your information sources are crap.

Neutering is to help calm them down (attitude wise) reduce chances of sexual organ cancer and bring down hormone levels (in all breeds, pit bulls have no higher testosterone than any other).

Now, where did you read that they will get aggressive later in life ? thats the biggest pile of crap ive ever heard.

Aggressive behavior can start at any age, anytime.

ive only had pit bulls in my life (this is my first rescued one). They are great dogs and grow up great dogs in the right environment with the right owners. The best research is personal experience. Anybody can just write stuff (especially on the internet), doesnt make it worth jack. Ive had pitties with "genetics" from aggressive (to people and other dogs) and never once have I had one turn on any other dogs ive had in the house, on me, my family, kids. UPBRINGING AND ENVIRONMENT.

any dog can be trained and made to be aggressive, fearful or the nicest dog on the planet

And before its picked apart, what i meant by "other dogs ive had the house" was referring to friends dogs, family members dogs, etc. I have had two chihuahuas in addition to pit bulls, but had to find them new homes as they were beating my pit bull almost weekly and was constantly having to staple or suture up his dog bite wounds.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
reticguy76 said:
im in veterinary medicine (certified in emergency/critical care and internal medicine). Your information sources are crap.

Neutering is to help calm them down (attitude wise) reduce chances of sexual organ cancer and bring down hormone levels (in all breeds, pit bulls have no higher testosterone than any other).

Now, where did you read that they will get aggressive later in life ? thats the biggest pile of crap ive ever heard.

Aggressive behavior can start at any age, anytime.

ive only had pit bulls in my life (this is my first rescued one). They are great dogs and grow up great dogs in the right environment with the right owners. The best research is personal experience. Anybody can just write stuff (especially on the internet), doesnt make it worth jack. Ive had pitties with "genetics" from aggressive (to people and other dogs) and never once have I had one turn on any other dogs ive had in the house, on me, my family, kids. UPBRINGING AND ENVIRONMENT.

any dog can be trained and made to be aggressive, fearful or the nicest dog on the planet

And before its picked apart, what i meant by "other dogs ive had the house" was referring to friends dogs, family members dogs, etc. I have had two chihuahuas in addition to pit bulls, but had to find them new homes as they were beating my pit bull almost weekly and was constantly having to staple or suture up his dog bite wounds.

see exactly what i said earlier, and about the chihuahuas, lol they are probably the "meanest" breed i have ever encountered, been bitten and attacked by them, if any dog should be feared its them lol.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
I think most people agre with chihuahuas being nasty and have a breed disposition to be nasty, but they are a small toy breed, so even their full blown attacks are easily handled and stopped, let alone a single bite. Pit bulls are strong and if provoked (like any dog) and in the wrong environment and raised imporperly, they can and do serious damage. Im not saying they do not have the potential to be dangerous, they do (as do, chows, shar-peis, dobies, labs, goldens, etc, any large breed has that potential of inflicting serious damage, again, if consistently provoked, and is raised improperly. As I said, in and out of work, the worst bites i have sustained have been from goldens (in numbers and severity).

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
reticguy76 said:
I think most people agre with chihuahuas being nasty and have a breed disposition to be nasty, but they are a small toy breed, so even their full blown attacks are easily handled and stopped, let alone a single bite. Pit bulls are strong and if provoked (like any dog) and in the wrong environment and raised imporperly, they can and do serious damage. Im not saying they do not have the potential to be dangerous, they do (as do, chows, shar-peis, dobies, labs, goldens, etc, any large breed has that potential of inflicting serious damage, again, if consistently provoked, and is raised improperly. As I said, in and out of work, the worst bites i have sustained have been from goldens (in numbers and severity).

Yeah, my golden has never bitten me, but she is a very shy dog, hates loud noises and water :/, lol, i may be crazy, but someday when i can afford it, i may look into wolf hybrids, or pure bred timbers, from what i have heard, they are somewhat hard to train, but are great animals lol, that is my dream to have a wolf and a big cat, like a tiger :D but like i said i am crazy :D

reticguy76

5 Year Member
For the record, I never let my pit bull along with my kids. Its not because he is a pit bull, I never let my kids around any dog alone without adult supervision, as any dog can turn like that and nail them and do waaaayyy more damage than biting/attacking me.

I never let my chihuahuas along with them, or my parents boxers (which according to many sources are rated number one with kids, but again, how true is that, because ive personally known a neighbor kid that was attacked by the family boxer), or my friends labs, etc. its not breed, its what can possibly happen if the dog turns for whatever reason.

And to say, a pit bull, specifically, is genetically predisposed to turn on you or attack anything and any given time because of the biased propaganda that is thrown all over the tv and internet, without having true personal experience, is just not right.

I have had well over 30 Pit bulls in my life, not one, NOT ONE, has ever turned on or attacked anybody, any animal. That is personal experiece fact.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
reticguy76 said:
For the record, I never let my pit bull along with my kids. Its not because he is a pit bull, I never let my kids around any dog alone without adult supervision, as any dog can turn like that and nail them and do waaaayyy more damage than biting/attacking me.

I never let my chihuahuas along with them, or my parents boxers (which according to many sources are rated number one with kids, but again, how true is that, because ive personally known a neighbor kid that was attacked by the family boxer), or my friends labs, etc. its not breed, its what can possibly happen if the dog turns for whatever reason.

And to say, a pit bull, specifically, is genetically predisposed to turn on you or attack anything and any given time because of the biased propaganda that is thrown all over the tv and internet, without having true personal experience, is just not right.

I have had well over 30 Pit bulls in my life, not one, NOT ONE, has ever turned on or attacked anybody, any animal. That is personal experiece fact.

Exactly, I love pits even though i have never had one, i gladly would get one. To be honest though, i don't like boxers or pugs, pugs mainly because i had one when i was a kid, and his eye kept like popping out, and boxers because they can be really hyper lol.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
I think anybody can find reasons anywhere to support their dislike or distrust (whatever spin you wanna put on it) for any breed. I can go search right now for reasons why goldens should be banned. But how much of what I would read is true ??

My dislike and distrust for goldens would be and are from personal experiences with them. Not many good ones.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
reticguy76 said:
I think anybody can find reasons anywhere to support their dislike or distrust (whatever spin you wanna put on it) for any breed. I can go search right now for reasons why goldens should be banned. But how much of what I would read is true ??

My dislike and distrust for goldens would be and are from personal experiences with them. Not many good ones.

I love my golden :D lol, but i also haven't had any bad experiences with them, and i am sorry you have :/, i have only had bad experiences with Chihuahuas and Pomeranians.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
First thing that comes to mind with all this pit bull exposure and bad press is retic and burm python attacks. Most everybody reads/listens to the surface of the story, but almost always, when you did a little deeper and start really scratching the surface, its nothing like what is initially reported.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
reticguy76 said:
First thing that comes to mind with all this pit bull exposure and bad press is retic and burm python attacks. Most everybody reads/listens to the surface of the story, but almost always, when you did a little deeper and start really scratching the surface, its nothing like what is initially reported.

Yeah :/, if it weren't for the update in the lacy act, i would actually have a burm, i was going to get one in feb., but the act already took effect, i think the act is stupid to be honest, but i do get the reasoning behind it, still i would have to drive to nevada just to buy one, then cross state lines to get it home, with the risk of jail time and a fine :/, so its no longer worth it to me.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
And most of the time (in all aspects of news topics and events), the deeper you dig into a story, the less the media covers it and makes it right. So, most people take news stories for what they are worth, stories that make people watch the news.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
reticguy76 said:
And most of the time (in all aspects of news topics and events), the deeper you dig into a story, the less the media covers it and makes it right. So, most people take news stories for what they are worth, stories that make people watch the news.

yup lol, and i won't get into my media beliefs because i am sure that it would cause a huge fight, but me personally i believe that fox, cnn, and abc are biased, especially fox, and always change the story to how they want to deliver it, which is why you rarely hear good things on the news

reticguy76

5 Year Member
The lacey act (if you read deep into it) was from mostly human error and stupidity (of course the main reason is government control, but that is getting into the political aspect of these things, which is off topic).

People getting burms (not only in Florida but other states as well) not really realizing whats all truly involved in keeping/raising them and they either let them go, or they conveniently "escape". And when they do truly escape or become to aggressive for them to handle , its from improper care and environment, therefore they either escape or are let go because the owners couldnt handle them anymore and too lazy to take it to a reptile shelter. It all comes back to us. animals rely on us to give them proper lives, environment and care, if/when we dont, things get bad. With all animals

Status
Not open for further replies.