Passed a stone...help

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Max peed clear liquid and with some effort followed it with a large white stone. I am worried. What now?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
How big is your tort and how long have you had him,do you let him go on a pebbled area. I only ask because I bought 2 torts off someone who used to let them outside on the rockery where there was small pebbles. For about 2 weeks when we had them we kept finding small pebbles in our enclosure. I'm assuming they ate pebbles from the rockery where they lived. Had them about 3 months now and not seen any pebbles for ages. May not be same scenario as yours but just thought I'd let you know.
Bye

Craig

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It could be a bladder stone, or hard urates, hard to tell without pics. Any chance you krpt it?

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Sorry, it went out with the trash already. It looked just like white urate, only rock hard. I could not break it apart. I just don't understand, because he soaks almost daily, drinks, and regularly passes liquid urate - little to no white stuff at all usually. And he made a liquid pee right before he passed it.

I've had him for 2.5 months. Is it possible that he has just now gotten to a point where he was hydrated enough for it to pass? He had a pretty bad diet at the pet store and was never soaked.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
I did look at it again, and I'm going with hard urates. He missed his soak yesterday, and had a very brief one the day before. Maybe that's all it took?
He had recently been eating: kale, dandelion, butter lettuce, radicchio, and zoomed grassland tort food. He has also sampled the Irish moss and spider plant in his new enclosure. Would any of these be putting his oxylates through the roof?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
What he has been eating in the past few days, or even weeks, is not what caused this hard urate to form. I have been told that they form when a tortoise has been deprived of water over and extended period of time. You are lucky that your tortoise has passed this stone. I would continue to soak him every day and be sure he always has access to water.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
That is good to know because I feel that we do a good job of keeping him hydrated, and I was kinda shocked that he'd developed this under our care. That's why I'm questioning his diet.
What he has been eating in the past few days, or even weeks, is not what caused this hard urate to form. I have been told that they form when a tortoise has been deprived of water over and extended period of time. You are lucky that your tortoise has passed this stone. I would continue to soak him every day and be sure he always has access to water.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'm thinking that this may be something that developed more than 3 months ago. And he has just now gotten it to pass due to more water moving through his system.

I've seen others suggest feeling aloe plant in order to lubricate the system.

Good luck.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I agree with Will. My guess is that the stone was already present (from being kept too dry previously), and in your well-hydrating care, his body has been able to pass the stone, finally. Scary for you, but in the end, good that he became well-hydrated before the stone got too big to pass by himself! As others have said, continue to soak frequently, and feed a few more watery plants than you normally would. :)