Over Wintering

Huw

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
hello!

Its fast approaching the time of year to start thinking about over wintering little Monty. (Over wintering is the right term isnt it?)
Having read about the pros and cons of hibernation i am far from
Convinced of the need to do so - Monty is going on 8 and has never hibernated.

Are there any things to do to prepare for over wintering?

Should i expect a change is beahaviour/sleeping pattern?

Are there optimum daytime/nighttime temps over the winter?

I know its too early for all this yet but i wanna be prepared.

Thanks

Huw (based in the North of England by the way!)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep temps the same as normal and keep lights on longer 12-14 hours. Don't let night time temps drop to low. Expect a winter slow down at some point. Even my leopards who do not hibernate in the wild will slow down with eating etc in the winter months. It seems to last about a month or so and then they will pick back up to normal eating.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yup, mine slows down and starts to try to find quiet corners to sleep in, she stops eating and has to be coxed with tasty treats.
After three or four weeks of longer lighting hours and a slight temp increase, she returns to normal.

Reactions: Huw

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Maintain your tortoise's environment as if it were summertime and your tortoise will continue to remain active and healthy throughout the winter months until it can go back outdoors in the spring. Average daytime temperatures should be the 21-28c, basking temperature 33-37c, night time temperatures 12.5-17c and daytime photoperiod should be 14-16 hours daily and well lit. Maintain regular humidity levels above 50%, feed your tortoise it's normal diet and it will do just fine.

Reactions: Huw