Outcome: Bullying and Separation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachael

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
los angeles
If you all remember I was having a problem with the TT hatchlings about 3 weeks ago. Yam was lapping Rabbit in weight. As per suggestion, I separated them fearing Yam was bullying Rabbit. I kept weighing them but I didnt notice a change. 5 days ago I put Rabbit BACK in with Yam and I noticed he was become more.. dominant over his "space" by the food rock. In fact, in a week he put ON weight.. 3 grams!

This is probably a fluke,but Im wondering if Rabbit got his sense of rivalry back? Yvonne told me that she thought hatchlings do better in twos because they compete for food. Maybe rabbit just lost his sense of competition? Is separating them for a week, once a month, silly?

or maybe rabbit just really needs to poop :x

I also want clarify that neither tort is unhealthy.. Yam is just larger than Rabbit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Last year I adopted two TTs from an old friend here in town, and I kept two TTs that came from the same lady yours came from. So I had four, two not related to the other two. I don't do well with babies, so I sent them up to my sister to head start them for me. I got them back last time she came to town. the two I adopted from my friend were always bigger than the other two, but since I've had them back, the two smaller ones are growing at vastly different rates. I have them in a Christmas tree storage bin and there are plenty of sight barriers. The four tortoises seem to get along just fine and all four eat every day.

I would have to say that maybe in this instance, they (yours and mine) are just growing at different rates. Probably nothing wrong. Just different.

rachael

5 Year Member
los angeles
Ah, thats good to know! Im going to continue to keep an eye on them and continue weighing. Hopefully I wont see a decline in Rabbit at all.

Thanks for the reply, Yvonne.

ps. youre going to have a TT colony soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.