Sulcata ate a baby rabbit!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Hum, and Blue Belly's are fast (when they are warm) . . That must have been a show...
he was basking against the cement wall...so he was sleepin in the sun..tort saw him and slunk up just like a cat to a mouse...I tried to get a shot of the mouse tail out of the torts mouth...but failed.

Lesley Pommarane

5 Year Member
Lesley, I know how you feel ! Definitely not as disturbing as your ordeal, but I sent an article about Sulcatta eating, tracking and running down, and eating a baby tern (bird) ! My Mali 🇲🇱 is around 10 years old (rescue) and 65 pounds. Love this girl, I just can’t imagine this happening, but….nature
That is disturbing also. I’m learning a lot about the odd things/animals that they will eat! It’s pretty crazy.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Wow, actually stalking! I’ve never seen mine do that, not to say they haven’t tho.
I
he was basking against the cement wall...so he was sleepin in the sun..tort saw him and slunk up just like a cat to a mouse...I tried to get a shot of the mouse tail out of the torts mouth...but failed.
the lizard tail from his mouth...

Lesley Pommarane

5 Year Member
I saw one eating a snake on a video.

I know one day, I had a small stray kitten follow me into a sulcata enclosure. When the sulcata saw it, the tortoise was like a heat seeking missile. I barely got to the kitten first and to this day, I swear that tortoise was planning on a meal of kitten.
Omg, good thing you were there to save the kitten!

Talkinturtles

Millcreek, utah
I’m more than disturbed, it appears that Rocky ate a baby rabbit! Rocky is a rescue who lived in a chicken coop. He is about 8 yrs old. We’ve had him approx 2 yrs. He lives in our back yard, outside most is the time unless it gets below 60ish. We live in SW Florida. I went to feed him & saw something sticking out of his mouth. Looking closer, I saw 2 feet with fur on them! I believe it was a baby rabbit as I moved a wooden ramp we have in the backyard & there was a very little baby rabbit under it. He could walk & hop, but pretty slowly as I think he was very young. I put the ramp back over the baby & left him as is. I checked a few hours later & the baby is still there. Had anyone heard of a Sulcata eating a rabbit?? I don’t know if the rabbit was dead or alive when Rocky ate him. It’s a sight that I wished I could un-see. Very disturbing!
is he receiving enough hay? enough high fiber? they are vegetarians and should not be eating meat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
is he receiving enough hay? enough high fiber? they are vegetarians and should not be eating meat.
Please stop. You are spreading bad info on every thread you go on today. You've been reading the wrong stuff on the internet. Please stop spreading that info.

Did you read this thread? She didn't feed her tortoise meat. She caught her tortoise in the act. They do, in fact, eat meat in the wild. While we don't suggest feeding meat to them on purpose, it won't hurt them, as can be seen by the numerous examples on the rest of this thread.

Talkinturtles

Millcreek, utah
Please stop. You are spreading bad info on every thread you go on today. You've been reading the wrong stuff on the internet. Please stop spreading that info.

Did you read this thread? She didn't feed her tortoise meat. She caught her tortoise in the act. They do, in fact, eat meat in the wild. While we don't suggest feeding meat to them on purpose, it won't hurt them, as can be seen by the numerous examples on the rest of this thread.
I cannot support a group that is ok with tortoises being bought on a whim. Tortoises living in glass tanks and people not doing any research and members posting false information. Sulcata shouldn’t even be sold. I would bet 98% of them die the first year.

grizzclan

Lakewood, CO
I cannot support a group that is ok with tortoises being bought on a whim. Tortoises living in glass tanks and people not doing any research and members posting false information. Sulcata shouldn’t even be sold. I would bet 98% of them die the first year.
Wow you are a piece of work!! I would say 98% of them live because of this forum!!!! I'm new to this forum and I'm part of a lot of other groups as well and this forum is one of the most helpful places I have found to go I see there care sheets used by a lot of people/groups! So if you are going to be this way I would hope you would move onto some browner grass!! 🖐 My Dozer doesn't want to share his greener grass with you!! To everyone here at the forum ty for all you do we really appreciate it!! ❤️

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I cannot support a group that is ok with tortoises being bought on a whim.
We are not ok with that. I have personally spent thousands of hours of my time trying to educate people on how to properly care for their tortoises and discouraging the wrong people from buying the wrong species of tortoise. Many others here on this forum do the same thing. What we are not okay with, at least not some of us, is the government and people like you telling us what we can and can't do. Freedom. Remember that old fashioned concept?

Tortoises living in glass tanks and people not doing any research and members posting false information. Sulcata shouldn’t even be sold.
Have you ever raised a baby in a glass tank? I have. Lots of long term experienced members here have. It can be done and there is nothing wrong with it if done correctly, despite what you've repeatedly read on the internet. I have started hundreds of babies of several species in large glass tanks. It does NOT stress them out in any way. On the contrary, I think they like being able to see what is going on outside their little world. Of course, they must be moved to larger quarters as they grow.

I disagree with your assertion that sulcatas should not be sold 100%. They are a terrific species for people who have the space, climate and resources to house them. I have been enjoying their company for 30 years. How awful it would have been if I'd never gotten to know them as a species. Shame on you.

I would bet 98% of them die the first year.
We agree on this point, but certainly not on the reason why. 98% probably die because of the mass misinformation on the care of this species on the internet. Almost everything you hear online, from vets, from breeders and from pet shops is all wrong. Some of this wrong information you've been repeating all day here on our forum. Hay for babies, fruit for sulcatas, and glass tanks are bad are all examples of old wrong myths. Misinformation. Erroneous. Incorrect, and widely disproven right here on this forum, if you'd simply stop posting for a minute and read some of it.

Who are you? How old are you? How long have you been keeping tortoises and what species are you familiar with?

Here is who I am. Read this to learn about the correct way to care for sulcatas. The way that gives them a 100% survival rate and helps them thrive in their new homes worldwide.

Your questions are welcome after you read that thread. I'm happy to explain where every assertion made in that care sheet comes from.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Really I do have to say that you evidently have not read very much on this site or you would know that no one here supports any of that. But new people that join, that have been given false information do NEED support. Not only that they need to not be attacked verbally. What I found 15 years ago was a lot of "researched" false information. I was really happy to find this forum. It's a place for Tortoise keepers from all over the world to discuss what they are observing first hand. This discussion helps us all to keep learning. If you close your mind you've blinded yourself.