Opuntia fruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
My grocery store sell opuntia fruit (prickly pear) would that be ok to feed my Hermann's tortoises? I know fruit is generally a no no with them.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I feed them to my Leopard and Sulcatas, they love them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes that is one fruit most or all of them can have. However I was told to still give sparingly. Maybe a little once a week is what I do when I can get it for my leopard

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Most fruits should not be fed to Mediterranean tortoises on a regular basis. Opuntia fruit (prickly pear) is an exception. They have great nutrional value especially fiber, calcium and vitamin A.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I feed them "as is" other than just washing the fruit off. I don't remove seeds from anything that I feed my tortoises. I also don't feed it to my tortoises year round because I don't have it available year round. But when I have prickly pear available I don't worry about how much they're getting. Based on nutrional data that I've read it contains no sugars and very little of anything else that would be considered bad for a tortoise's diet. In fact, based on nutrional content prickly pear is loaded with a lot of good nutrients.

One site I refer to often for nutrional values of raw greens, vegetables and fruits is: www.nutriondata.self.com

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I ditto what GB said. It is the one fruit that I give to my "grassland" tortoises. The only thing I do is slice it for the smaller torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.