Optimus (OP) is growing like a weed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I just realized the last time I posted pics of Optimus was November!
Time for an update.
He got a new set up. Got this aquarium free from freecycle. It's huge! Hubby changed substrate to Coconut coir. OP loves digging in it.
100_0168.jpg

Like I said he is growing like a weed.
100_0171.jpg

100_0170.jpg

And of course he loves feeding time!
100_0167.jpg

100_0164.jpg

Just for reference he was the last post with pics:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Looking-for-opinions-on-how-we-are-doing#axzz1DrAy45C6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome back. He looks great!

Because I'm nit-picky and OCD I have a few suggestions for improvement. You can tell me to shut up and just disregard them if you don't want them.

1. I don't like your water bowl. The sides are a little too high and the bottom is slick. Sometimes fear of tipping over and not having good footing will make them avoid their water bowl. Often when people replace them, they are surprised to see their tort run right over and drink. Terra cotta plant saucers from any hardware store only cost a couple of bucks and they work much better.

2. Try to pick most of the spinach out of your spring mix. Spinach is high in oxalates and it binds with calcium and makes the calcium unavailable to your little baby. A little bit once in a while won't kill them, but eating it on a regular basis, in the winter, with no sunshine, on a little baby, COULD start to be a problem.

3. Don't feed him directly on the substrate like that. Put your food on a piece of tile, slate or an upside down lid from a butter tub. Too much risk of ingesting substrate with out it.

4. Time for a new and improved humid hide box. He needs something bigger, more enclosed and darker so he feels secure. Sometimes I put black tape on those clear ones.

5. I'd strongly recommend swapping those plastic light fixtures for ceramic ones. Its just a question of time until they fail. They start to short out. They will either short out and ruin your expensive bulbs (best case) or they will short out and start a fire. In the past, I used to use those and some of them actually lasted for a couple of years, but they ALL fail eventually. After a few close calls and replacement $50 bulbs, I learned to stop using them. I threw them all away and bought the ceramics instead. I have not had a problem since. Some of my ceramics have been running for 10 years or more. Still no problems with any of them.

His shell looks great and his weight is good. You are doing great with him. Thanks for posting the update for us.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
aweeee... he is a cutie! He is really looking great, you are doing a very nice job raising him.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thanks guys!
Tom I will definitely take your suggestions and use them. OP actually love his water dish. It is slanted, so the side is only high on 1 side. He goes in it all the time. He likes to drag his food in it. Speaking of food he does get a pretty good variety. Not spinach all the time and there is a granite slab under that pile. He likes to drag his food onto the substrate and throughout his enclosure. I've been meaning to get a better hide. Hubby did that I don't like it. OP likes to drag that around his enclosure as well. It's more like a big toy.
I appreciate everyone comments and suggestions. Anything that will keep him healthy is what I want to do. Can't wait till it warms up so OP can get some real sunshine!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Whew! Good. I always mean well, but sometimes the typed word just doesn't convey the helpful tone well.

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
OP is a cutie.. good job on his shell looks smooth, i see a dent in the growth area, Tobi has that also but its going away little by little, how is urs doing??

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thought I'd update this thread. OP is now 13 months old. He is 5 inches and weighs 451g.
100_1450.jpg

He currently has an 8in. clay flower pot base for his water dish, which he can move :p
Eating on his granite slab.
100_1444.jpg

100_1453.jpg

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Whoa, OP is looking great. I love this thread! Thanks for sharing!!

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
RE: Optimus (OP) is growing like a weed! Updated

CtTortoiseMom said:
Whoa, OP is looking great. I love this thread! Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks! I can't believe how much he's grown in the year that we've had him. Hoping he's not growing too fast.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
DesertGrandma said:
He is so beautiful. Your are taking good care of him for sure :cool:

Thanks Joy. When hubby decided he wanted to get him he said it was because he thought he would be a pretty maintainence free pet. Ha! Of course I end up doing most of the care. I love when I pick him up and and put him up close to my face and I talk to him. I swear he "talks" back and he bobs his head up and down. He knows that's when he'll get his soak and then he gets to eat! :D

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
That is one good looking Sulcata :) I love his coloring!

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
ChiKat said:
That is one good looking Sulcata :) I love his coloring!

Thanks Katie! I love his shell. I've started putting coconut oil on his growth lines when they start to dry out. I've only done it twice so far, but I really think it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.