One of my new females looks like a male! Common?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Those all look female. Last one could go either way. What's it's size? Could also get shot of the small "males tail? How big is that one too? It's plastron is quite flat. Male carbonaria get very very concave plastrons. My largest (16") male has about a 4.5" depth concavity, 12-13" males around 2-3" depths. Females can also present some concavity as well, not nearly as similar to males though.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
The plastron shots are of a female with a tight space for eggs. Sometimes you find a big female (even wild imports) that have what appears to be an impossibly small opening between the carapace and plastron. So I would assume that these females simply lay smaller eggs? Not sure how they could squeeze out big eggs.
Conversely, some rather smallish sized females have a giant gap between the shells and they give the impression they could lay tennis ball sized eggs!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've got Jacqui luck!!
I noticed that when I tried to get my males (now female)tail it flattened out like a spade. So the two new females are indeed female...but so is my male a female.....however, my five incher really does seem male. The tail is very long and thin when compared to the others.
So maybe three females and one possible male that is far to young for any loving. It's the one you say could go either way.
My 20 month old is also of unknown sex and is for sale. It won't be part of my herd.
No breeding for me. At least not for a couple more years.
Thanks for your expert update.

Turtlepete

South Florida
So then if "Julio" is a female, you said "he" was "showing interest" in the new girls? I suppose that was dominance then. So you aren't going to acquire a male to breed now?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There is head bobbing. Now I think that they were actually laughing at me.
I have a total of five Redfoot. Three females at 13",12" and 8". A male? At 5" and a baby of God only knows.
I have NO idea what I'm gonna do.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
The plastron shots are of a female with a tight space for eggs. Sometimes you find a big female (even wild imports) that have what appears to be an impossibly small opening between the carapace and plastron. So I would assume that these females simply lay smaller eggs? Not sure how they could squeeze out big eggs.
Conversely, some rather smallish sized females have a giant gap between the shells and they give the impression they could lay tennis ball sized eggs!

That was my thought. Was the previous owner sure that your second female actually laid eggs? The anal opening looks way small to push out an egg. Some girls need to grow to extreme sizes before the anal opening is large enough to push out an egg.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
There is head bobbing. Now I think that they were actually laughing at me.
I have a total of five Redfoot. Three females at 13",12" and 8". A male? At 5" and a baby of God only knows.
I have NO idea what I'm gonna do.
Was any of your 2 new females hanging with any males, if so maybe they could still lay fertile eggs. ssshhh don't tell the wife . lol ;)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes. They've been with males up until last week.
Well you may be lucky and receive some fertile eggs next time they lay. Think they can carry sperm for up to 4 years. You need an experts opinion. @tortadise will know as many others will. Do you want to breed and raise some juveniles?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Cool!! The photo of my little male didn't come out. I'll try again.

The degree of having a waist shown is not unknown and should not be construed to mean male. Can we see a pic of the rear half of the plastron?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
M
LOL!! OK, it's not *that* funny and probably not funny at all at the time...
OMG . I've only just seen that comment. That is very funny. Can't stop laughing. That just brightened my day up.
As a group of lads going out for a night on the tiles, about 10 of us once took great pleasure in watching 1 of our mates in a similar situation, only not in Thailand, in England. Still laughing

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
I hate to be a downer, but does anyone think there might be a problem with a female, with a small opening, getting egg bound? I don't understand how the eggs would be smaller. I have occasionally had problems with younger- smaller female turtles and tortoises laying.