Male like behavior from one of my torts

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
That's an interesting fact about the mosquitos on the carapace/plastron.
It's dumb question time.
Do they actually get blood from the carapace or plastrons?
Absolutely not. Their proboscis is designed to pierce skin not shell. A mosquito can land on, but not bite into - let alone bite through - the shell.

They're attracted to warm blooded mammals by the carbon dioxide they exhale. As torts are cold blooded reptiles and further defended by scales, mosquitoes are not a problem to them.

And that photo does not show a tort being bitten through its shell.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Absolutely not. Their proboscis is designed to pierce skin not shell. A mosquito can land on, but not bite into - let alone bite through - the shell.

They're attracted to warm blooded mammals by the carbon dioxide they exhale. As torts are cold blooded reptiles and further defended by scales, mosquitoes are not a problem to them.
Makes sense, but had to ask regardless of humiliation.lol. So the dumb mosquitos are just trying their luck.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Makes sense, but had to ask regardless of humiliation.lol. So the dumb mosquitos are just trying their luck.
The mosquitos landed. They're not even trying. That's just what a mosquito looks like

Heaven help us if mosquitos developed big and strong enough to drill through a tort's shell! :D

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The mosquitos landed. They're not even trying. That's just what a mosquito looks like

Heaven help us if mosquitos developed big and strong enough to drill through a tort's shell! :D
I've seen it in films, they can break glass. Lol
Actually I was thinking maybe they were getting other nutrients off the surface of the torts.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I've seen it in films, they can break glass. Lol
Actually I was thinking maybe they were getting other nutrients off the surface of the torts.
Well, male mosquitoes don't suck blood I think; they're nectar eaters. On a red foot there may be some sugary fruity stuff stuck to the shell after they've walked through their dinner.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I don't know if they are being bitten through the shell, but around this time of year, the mosquitoes tend to gather in large numbers (10-50) on the shells. The torts also seem to be more itchy.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Cherry Pie is a tough one... I'm on the fence and hoping you get the male you're rallying for.