Old Dudes

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Recently got a phone call from an old friend who informed me that he had sold his house here in south Florida and was moving to California. Because of the move he had decided not to take two male Colombian red-footed tortoises that he had obtained from me back in 1986. One of the tortoises I had hatched seven years earlier--1979. The second was the son of the first and one I had produced around 1984 or 1985.
Both had grown two be enormous specimens for this particular race.
The first male, named 'Jivaro' measures 15.5" SCL and the second, 'Franklin' measures 14.5" SCL.
Here they are...
First is Jivaro

Jivaro.jpg

Then Franklin. You can see the resemblance to his father.

Franklin.jpg

Jivaro eating floss silk flowers. His head is the size of an average person's fist.

J eats floss silk flowers.jpg

The two old dudes and Jivaro

Me and Ron Baer.jpg

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
I wonder why the move to CA. Is your friend tired of all the hurricanes and many transplans from the last couple years? The difference between CA and FL is FL doesn't have state income tax.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I wonder why the move to CA. Is your friend tired of all the hurricanes and many transplans from the last couple years? The difference between CA and FL is FL doesn't have state income tax.
And California doesn't have "Florida Man." (ducking)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Recently got a phone call from an old friend who informed me that he had sold his house here in south Florida and was moving to California. Because of the move he had decided not to take two male Colombian red-footed tortoises that he had obtained from me back in 1986. One of the tortoises I had hatched seven years earlier--1979. The second was the son of the first and one I had produced around 1984 or 1985.
Both had grown two be enormous specimens for this particular race.
The first male, named 'Jivaro' measures 15.5" SCL and the second, 'Franklin' measures 14.5" SCL.
Here they are...
First is Jivaro

View attachment 350785

Then Franklin. You can see the resemblance to his father.

View attachment 350786

Jivaro eating floss silk flowers. His head is the size of an average person's fist.

View attachment 350787

The two old dudes and Jivaro

View attachment 350788
Gorgeous tortoises Carl. That color is incredible, and those weathered carapaces...

Glad they are staying in FL. Your friend made a wise choice in that regard, though I can't understand why anyone would want to leave FL to come to CA. I want to do the opposite, but my business makes it exceedingly difficult at the moment.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Florida just doesn't collect state taxes in the same way. Anyone that shops in Florida pays state taxes on everything they purchase.😜😎😎 except during September I think it's a great system.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
My first thought was, “FL does a body good” haha! Those shells look nice and smooth, and man they are big specimens too, really neat.