Not Sure Whats Wrong With My Tortoise's Shell

kenzmorg95

Hello!
I bought my Russian tortoise from a pet store and I noticed a month or two after I had time his shell has changed, it looked like the squares on his shell have shrunk and I thought maybe if I bath him more it will stop or its from the light in his habitat but it has gotten worse and I don't know what is wrong with his shell or how I can fix it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whats wrong or how I can prevent it from keep getting worse. I will attach a picture so you understand what I am talking about.
thank you:)

lloyd.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Do you mean the dark spots on each schute? I see growth lines, but nothing wrong. Maybe he is growing and makes it seem like the spts are shrinking?

kenzmorg95

Hello!
I bought my Russian tortoise from a pet store and I noticed a month or two after I had time his shell has changed, it looked like the squares on his shell have shrunk and I thought maybe if I bath him more it will stop or its from the light in his habitat but it has gotten worse and I don't know what is wrong with his shell or how I can fix it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whats wrong or how I can prevent it from keep getting worse. I will attach a picture so you understand what I am talking about.

thank you:)
lloyd-jpg.125917

Attachments

• lloyd.JPG
    lloyd.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 84

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Well, I'm no expert, but personally I wouldn't be worried at all.
The photo's not entirely clear but I think you are comparing his old markings to those of (Lloyd is it ?) his new growth. which is often very different in colour and patterning. This looks fine to me, though I agree with the poster above that the substrate looks horrible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The squares, as you call them, do not change as the tortoise grows. They stay the same. As the shell puts on new growth, it happens around the edge of the squares. This has the effect of making the original scutes (squares) look smaller, but really they've stayed the same and new growth has appeared around the outside edges of the scutes. There is nothing wrong with your tortoise's shell. Just growing.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
I think his shell looks good and just looks like new growth to me. The new lighter colour lines are making the old growth look smaller sort of an optical illusion. As above I'd change the substrate to some thing better topsoil or coco coir are both good.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm no expert either, however your tort looks fine, so don't worry.