not an experiment ...my Cherries

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
This wasn't an experiment, it happened because Pio was raised in a smaller vivarium then Solo, and I found Mazuri to be such an easy way out. Pio's care was very strictly taken from Terry K's care sheet, with the exception of plants in the vivarium. They humidity was always 80 or higher throughout the entire viv. He was misted until he dripped.....all the time.
Solo is in a much bigger vivarium, with less plants, and a much varied died including Mazuri twice a week. Her hide is the only thing I keep at 90 percent humidity now. The plants in the rest of the vivarium are the only thing that I water. I rarely mist in there any more, but the overall humidity stays around 75. The hide is always in the 90 range. I use a little temp. gun. So far Solo is looking good. Solo was 3 1/2 in. at 7 months and Pio was 3 in. at 7 months. I didn't weigh them at that time, but I have to measure and weigh them now and compare.
Pio...big girl at 4 years
029-21.jpg

Solo..1 yr
050-8.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you. I'm raising this one with less humidity, except for the hide, and more of a varied diet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very pretty redfoots, Terry.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Two stunning Cherries :D They both look very happy and healthy!!

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Flawless AND gorgeous. Very interesting comparisons.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Great looking Cherries Miss Terry! ......

JD~:)

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Solo is smooth as I've seldom seen it.
Both are cute. :D
I don't know much about redfoots, but this is interesting.
Do you have more pics, Terry?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you. Here's a few more. This is Pio in her garden this Summer. She doesn't have too much color, but she's still beautiful to me.

014-40.jpg

031-14.jpg

Lil Solo....she's full of color, and growing snooth too.
046-8.jpg

006-57.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Terry, they are both stunning. So what are you concluding so far from your non-experiment? Solo does have a lot of color, but Pio is a fantastically gorgeous tortoise.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thanks Tom. Like I said Solo has a very humid hide, but the humidity in the rest of his enclosure isn't as high as Pio's was. I also haven't sprayed him much at all. Yet he is growing just as smooth so far. His diet is more varied too, including Mazuri. I guess time will tell as Solo gets older. But if I do see any signs of pyramiding, I'll go back to spraying and raising the humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have so much to learn. Richard Fife doesn't bother with a lot of humidity for leopards and sulcatas EXCEPT in the humid hides. On the other hand the 10 month old females he just sent me have some pyramiding starting. Most of the tortoises he sells have little or no pyramiding at all. Tyler has produced some very smooth ones too and he doesn't go crazy with swampiness either. Last year I had more humidity and wetness than you do for solo, probably as much as you had for Pio, and yet mine still pyramided a little. Of course we're talking about different species, but still. I'll learn a lot from this year's experiments... all SIX of them. MOOOHOOHAAAAHAHAAAHAHA.......

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Terry they are both so beautiful. You've done a great job. Dale only wishes that Pio lived closer to him. :D :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thanks Candy...I'm sure that Pio would love that too.
Tom...you have to remember that I live on an Island, and they are all outside for the Summer. Sometimes the humidity is so thick here that you have a hard time breathing, and the plants in their enclosure are watered every day, so they are pretty "wet".

Status
Not open for further replies.