Night time temps advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hi all

We have built Sheldon a new enclosure that is in doors. Now that the English winter has started to set in I could really do with your words of wisdom about his night time temps.
At night he sleeps in a glass tank (doors closed) which has a heat mat under the end where he beds down.
The current temp only gets to around 20-22 Celsius.
What can I do to increase this a little higher?
New set up:
image-2140204728.png

New steps for easier access:
image-3907002789.png

All comments are very much appreciated.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Ceramic heat emitter, it will heat the tank without lighting it up.

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
In response to 'Jtrux' what wattage would you recommend?
The tank is 1ftx2ftx1ft & the mat used is 12 watts.

Alan RF thanks for the compliment. I'm so proud of it I show everyone pictures where ever I go :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
100 watt should do fine. Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the whole enclosure in one shot. Looks really nice

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
As far as your temps are concerned, 28C should be about as cool as you let it get and the hot side should be around 38C. I wouldn't run a 100 watt in that small of a tank unless you have a thermostat. You really might be better off with a 60 watt though just because of the size of the tank.

One thing I noticed is that your substrate is completely dry. You REALLY need to increase the humdity in the enclosure. If it's a sealed tank (meaning it has a lid and isn't just open at the top) moisten the substrate some and also consider a humidifer. Also buy a gauge to monitor the humidity (hygrometer). You want it to be nice and humid in there, 50% or more and also remember that once you start increasing the humidity it is vital not to let the temp get low, especially down to 22C, that's waaay too cool even for nighttime, try not to ever let the enclosure go below 28C.

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Thanks for all your comments. I have just ordered the ceramic heat emitter, but does this need to be on 24/7 or only at night. The days temps are good & consistent.

I will start a new thread with further pics of the enclosure in its entirety soon.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I have my Che hooked up to a thermostat. It is set for 80 degrees F. With this on a thermostat, it is “on" 24/7 but it only operates when the temps fall. I don't like letting things like temps go to chance.
Daytime, when the powersun is on, it may not come on at all. Night time it is what keeps the enclosure warm. Hope this helps.

imranuddin93

5 Year Member
Hey did you build that enclosure? If so how did you go about it and add the glass on the sides?

Status
Not open for further replies.