New and need help

Ms.Parka

Location (City and/or State)
Commonwealth of Dominica
HI I have a baby tortoise and need some help. Bubbles are coming from her mouth and she's making a squiking sound. I don't know what to do. Please advice.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Oh goodness! Your baby has a respiratory infection and you'll need to take action. It can be very serious but you can get her better.

First her temperatures in her enclosure need to be up.. like 80 degrees Fahrenheit all the time with a basking spot of 100. She needs lots of warm soaks in water that is 85-95 degrees several times a day for 30 minutes each time. Make sure the water stays warm by adding more or keeping it under the heat lamp.

Is she eating? Can we see a photo of her enclosure?

Ms.Parka

Commonwealth of Dominica
Oh goodness! Your baby has a respiratory infection and you'll need to take action. It can be very serious but you can get her better.

First her temperatures in her enclosure need to be up.. like 80 degrees Fahrenheit all the time with a basking spot of 100. She needs lots of warm soaks in water that is 85-95 degrees several times a day for 30 minutes each time. Make sure the water stays warm by adding more or keeping it under the heat lamp.

Is she eating? Can we see a photo of her enclosure?
Thank you for the help. I will begin soaking her right away. I don't have a basking lamp for her as I'm in the Caribbean. I usually give her walks outside,should I get her a lamp? Her enclosure is a temporary one as I'm preparing a new spacious one for her. She hasn't shown signs of not eating, she eats well.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
The lamp is a must. Before you take it to a vet try to see if there is anything stuck in its mouth or nose. Bubbling from the mouth could be a respiratory infection or it could be over heated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

A lot of new tortoise keepers living in climates/countries such as yours make that mistake too. Doesn't matter if the climate is warm. You still have the sun, don't you? Well, a light over the enclosure is the tortoise's sun. He needs it, and it has to be a UVB light.

Ms.Parka

Commonwealth of Dominica
The lamp is a must. Before you take it to a vet try to see if there is anything stuck in its mouth or nose. Bubbling from the mouth could be a respiratory infection or it could be over heated.
Thanks, I will get her a light. Which one do you recommend btw. There are so many, I'm not sure which one I should get. I didn't observe anything in her nose, and I can only see inside her mouth when she's eating. Shes eating today but not her usual self.Is there another way to get her to open up?

Ms.Parka

Commonwealth of Dominica
Thanks, I will get her a light. Which one do you recommend btw. There are so many, I'm not sure which one I should get. I didn't observe anything in her nose, and I can only see inside her mouth when she's eating. Shes eating today but not her usual self.Is there another way to get her to open up?
Hi and welcome!

A lot of new tortoise keepers living in climates/countries such as yours make that mistake too. Doesn't matter if the climate is warm. You still have the sun, don't you? Well, a light over the enclosure is the tortoise's sun. He needs it, and it has to be a UVB light.
Thanks, I will get her one asap.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Don't get the coil type UVB it is hard on their eyes. Get the flouresnt type tube lamp

daniellenc

Maryland
What are the torts current temps day and night, is the enclosure open topped or sealed, and what kind of tort? All these questions will help us recommend additional heat and lighting if needed.

daniellenc

Maryland
Ok jk looked at your picture it’s a red foot. Post pics of your enclosure and temps.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! Maybe I am a kind of near neighbour of yours as I am in Jamaica. I have 2 redfoot tortoises.
Your baby redfoot needs to be kept warm with the temperatures that have been recommended already here. Just making sure he is warm enough and has the proper level of humidity in his enclosure, will sometimes completely cure any respiratory infection without your having to take him to an exotics vet. Sometimes. How is he doing now?