Newbie looking for advice for my Sonoran Desert Tortoise enclosure

David Bellman

Hi all from Mesa Arizona my wife and I have three adopted Sonoran desert tortoises approximately 8 to 9 months old we built and enclosure outside everything is great with that enclosure except for the cover do we need some kind of cover to protect them I have never seen a raven in the area and cats are generally scared Away by our dogs are dogs protect the babies even from sparrows LOL what are the recommendations out there and what are your experiences with Sonoran desert tortoises in the metropolitan area of Phoenix Mesa Arizona any suggestions or advice is welcomed my wife and I are experienced with other reptiles but this is our first with tortoises and outdoor animals thank you in advance David

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi all from Mesa Arizona my wife and I have three adopted Sonoran desert tortoises approximately 8 to 9 months old we built and enclosure outside everything is great with that enclosure except for the cover do we need some kind of cover to protect them I have never seen a raven in the area and cats are generally scared Away by our dogs are dogs protect the babies even from sparrows LOL what are the recommendations out there and what are your experiences with Sonoran desert tortoises in the metropolitan area of Phoenix Mesa Arizona any suggestions or advice is welcomed my wife and I are experienced with other reptiles but this is our first with tortoises and outdoor animals thank you in advance David

Hello and welcome. Most of the care advice you will find for this species is incorrect and will result in dead babies or bladder stones for older ones. Yes they are a desert species, but out in the desert they spend most of their time underground avoiding the weather extremes.

Here is how I care for DTs. Same care that a russian needs:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Keeping your babies outside all day is not good for them. Keeping them inside most of the time in a proper enclosure, until they get a little bigger, is much better for them. They should also be soaked daily until they reach 100 grams or so, then you can start skipping days occasionally.

Please feel free to ask for more explanation on any of this. We are here to help.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum, I'd love to have a desert tortoise!

Are your babies completely separated from your dogs? I am sure they do protect the general area but dogs and tortoises are not a good match; a tortoise is basically a calcium chew to a dog.

You can read more about that later; for now the proper setup is the most important thing.

We'd love to see pictures!

David Bellman

Welcome to the forum, I'd love to have a desert tortoise!

Are your babies completely separated from your dogs? I am sure they do protect the general area but dogs and tortoises are not a good match; a tortoise is basically a calcium chew to a dog.

You can read more about that later; for now the proper setup is the most important thing.

We'd love to see pictures!
LOL yes they are completely separated AZ in a double block wall is between them and the dogs but the girls Patrol defense making sure no Birds land in their babies cages LOL pictures will be coming soon