New tortoise owner - feeding advice needed!

steveygee

Hi, apologies if this is a really silly question but I've recently acquired my first tortoise (horsefield 18 months old) and I'm a newcomer to growing plants as well!

I decided to grow from seeds as I believe I'm better feeding plants to my tortoise rather than vegetables. I bought a tortoise seed mix from Shelled Warriors and have attached an image of a few of them which have now grown. But I am unsure on how to now feed them to the tortoise - should I just cut/rip off the top part and feed that? And are the plants likely to regenerate or am I best just to start again with fresh compost once I've removed these plants?

Any help would be gratefully received! Thanks!

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
They're looking a bit leggy. Perhaps not enough light?

They need to be split and grown on with fewer to a pot so you get bigger plants.

Depending on what they actually are, you should be able to just snip them off with scissors and add them to food.

In the UK the weeds are just starting to grow properly now so there are plenty to pick outside. The dandelion crop is looking particularly fine and the clover in my lawn is going well :)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

Gosh, I have not looked at the Shelled Warriors shop in a while (not sure why I look at all, since I'm in the U.S.!).

Which mix did you buy? They all look interesting to me. I know they've got one mix that is supposed to be ready to snip and serve in one week! Whatever type you bought, you should be able to cut and have the seeds "come back" for a while as long as they get some sun and time.

As Joe's Mum said, those plants would benefit by being thinned--you do this by very carefully pulling out some of the tiny seedlings and giving those that are left some space. Your tortoise can eat whatever you thin out.

When they are as crowded as yours are, it can be hard to thin them without pulling a bunch out--don't worry about it. At this point they may not thrive-don't worry about that either, it's your first batch! If they don't do well, try using fewer seeds in your next planting--give the seeds more space at the beginning so they don't crowd each other out. Plant fewer than you think belong there!

For the record, my first attempts at seed plantings were a mess and it wasn't my first time gardening.