help with feeding

Debbie2468

Location (City and/or State)
Rhondda south Wales
Hi all I'm a new member so any and all advice is gratefully received.
I have a 3 ish yr old horsefield I have given him handful
( same size amount as him) once a day but he is always looking for more food . The 2 pansies plants I put in for decoration he has stripped . Should I feed him twice a day ?????
Cheers deb

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to let them eat as much as they want of the right foods. High fiber weeds, plants, leaves and flowers. Grazing outside is best. Be sure to keep them well hydrated too.

I put out a large pile in the morning. If they eat it all, I use more the next day. If they leave a few scraps I use less the next day.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Debbie,
Sadly outside grazing isn't really an option for us in Wales at the moment - in fact not much of the summer was warm enough for it either.
Weeds like dandies are also hard to come by now too. So I use Florette Classic Crispy salad bags or Sainsburys Mixed leaf salad as they have a good mix of leaves. I try to vary the diet with kale, romaine, pak choi (leaves not stems) spring greens, carrot leaves, some of which are only ok in moderation as part of a varied diet.
Have a look at the Russian caresheet to see what diet is suggested there and you may find wwwthetortoisetable.org.uk useful to help ID tort safe foods.
If Horsefields are grass eaters then Friendly Readigrass is a good dried grass I use to add fibre to my leopards diet or try cutting some from any chemical free grass you may have in your garden.