New tort!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommybeegs

5 Year Member
This is Cosmo :) he is about 5" long and enjoying his first soak. He was a mail order. So glad he arrived safely!!!

Attachments

• image-2669714847.png
    image-2669714847.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
  • image-1089369913.png
    image-1089369913.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 44

65redroses

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cayucos California
mommybeegs said:
This is Cosmo :) he is about 5" long and enjoying his first soak. He was a mail order. So glad he arrived safely!!!

How in the heck do you post on here? And how do you know if people are on line or not? I just got two CDTs. Your new one is cute.

mommybeegs

5 Year Member
There's a button, top right of your screen with an arrow. Click it an hit "start new thread" and that should do it :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Very cute! Handsome RT you got there. :) And how wonderful that he is already eating!

You might take an old toothbrush, and gently brush his shell, to get him cleaned up. RTs get dirty, and that is fine... but that way you know that any dirt he has on him is good new dirt, rather than another tortoise's poo. :p

Since many of the mail-order tortoises were originally collected in the wild, I'd also recommend you bring a fecal sample to the vet to be checked for parasites. Call around - the fecal check doesn't have to be done by a reptile vet, and might be cheaper to do by another. We love our reptile vet, but she charges $63 for a fecal exam... whereas the local dog/cat vet only charges $26. If he tests positive for worms/parasites, you can always bring the results to your reptile vet to get treatment. :)

65redroses

5 Year Member
Cayucos California
RE CDTs

What is the best substrate to use on CDTS? I have a warming light it is red. Do they need more than this? The are 16 months old. What is the best hide for them? Right now they have a card board box. I have had them for a couple of months now. They are pretty active, eat well. They have water and I soak them. My concern is if they will be able to go outside. I live right on the Central Coast about two blocks from the ocean. I try and let the get sun on the deck whenever it is warm out. I think I will make them a place in a swimming pool for my deck so they can sun and be out side during the warm days. Any advice? Thanks.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
RE: RE CDTs

-Coconut coir or organic top soil are the best substrates - they hold moisture, and the coconut coir won't get moldy. You can buy it as a dehyrdrated compacted brick, then you add water (according to instructions). It is available in most pet stores, but I actually buy a large brick at the garden center.

-The red warming light is ok for warmth, but your tortoises need a white light source (full spectrum) as well as a UVB light. Some tortoise owners swear by the MVB Powersun bulbs, as it provides heat and UVB. Personally, I prefer a separate heat lamp (100W) and a tube UVB light (10.0 desert ReptiGlo by ExoTerra). You install the UVB about 12-13 inches above the top of the tortoise's shell, and the heat lamp you will have to adjust the height so that the temp immediately under it is 95-100 degrees F (35 degrees C). The MVB Powersun has to be installed completely vertical, any tilt will damage it. The regular heat lamp isn't as sensitive, but it is still important to get the temps right. You can do this by measuring the temp either with a good probe thermometer, or with a temp gun (infrared). I got one on Amazon for $17, read the reviews, because some are really inaccurate... I am happy with the one I got.

-A half-log or a little wooden house is a great hide, or a tupperware-type container with a hole cut into it, or a large terracotta flowerpot on its side, sunken into the substrate. If your substrate is moist enough, a card board box will likely dissolve or get moldy.

-I love the idea of using a kid pool for an outdoor enclosure. You can put some top soil in it, maybe sow some seeds. Make sure you provide a shady area - a board placed over an area of the kid pool works. Be aware of where the sun goes in the course of the time they are out there. You'll also want to make sure that the temperature at soil level is 70 degrees F or more (28 degrees C?)

Here is a great website that has a good care sheet, as well as info on feeding and what plants are safe: www.russiantortoise.net

Good luck!

65redroses said:
What is the best substrate to use on CDTS? I have a warming light it is red. Do they need more than this? The are 16 months old. What is the best hide for them? Right now they have a card board box. I have had them for a couple of months now. They are pretty active, eat well. They have water and I soak them. My concern is if they will be able to go outside. I live right on the Central Coast about two blocks from the ocean. I try and let the get sun on the deck whenever it is warm out. I think I will make them a place in a swimming pool for my deck so they can sun and be out side during the warm days. Any advice? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.