New to Tortoises and TortoiseForum

Lughnasadh

Hi,

We just got our first tortoise, Rocky, a spur-thighed tortoise.

He does not seem to be eating very much. In the time we have had him (4 days) he has eaten about as many dandelion leaves (4 - 6).
I offer leaves up twice a day but mostly they dry up uneaten.
He has been outside with access to grass and some dandelion but I have never seen him eating then either.
Should he be eating more than this? Should I be concerned?

He is 2 years old and weighs 194g. I will be weighing him weekly to ensure he does not drop weight.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Reptilelove

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth
Welcome to the forum! Be sure to post loads of pics! Why dont you try him with diffrent foods such as kale and spring greens. Torts love variety when it comes to food :)

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Hello and welcome! Good thing you came here for advise =) Can you tell me a little about your set? That would help alot! =)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:) Be sure temps and humidity are correct. Also, be sure he is drinking, if not, give him a warm soak for 20-30 minutes everyday to every other day. Giving us a run down of your set up will help,us tweak your enclosure. Torts can go quite a while not eating with no harm, however, it's important to keep him hydrated.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome to TFO

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Lughnasadh

Here is Rocky's house.
The black lamp on the left is an Arcadia D3. Which provides a basking spot at 33oC. The lamp on the right is a ceramic with thermo to ensure the cool end does not go below 20oC.

He still eats little although it is hard to tell on the days he has been out in his pen as he has access to grass and dandelion.

He is active when he is out and about with my daughter around the house but when in his table does not seem to do very much.

I have started introducing more variety of weed now I have my shelled warrior weed mix growing out. I sprinkle with calcium carbonate.

We bathe him every second day for 20 - 30 minutes and sometimes give him a 10 minute soak on the other days. I do not measure humidity in his table.

His weight has dropped from 194g down to 180 gram over the last two weeks which seems a lot versus the target weight gain of 3 or 4g every 4 weeks.

Getting a bit worried about his weight / eating. Any advice very much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20140816_190316.jpg
    20140816_190316.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

Lughnasadh

I should have also said, he has been defecating OK - normally has a movement every second day when he is in his bath and they have all been well formed.
I also check his white discharge which he does most every second day too and it is thick and creamy - no gritty bits or lumps etc.

Over all I would say he seems OK hydration wise, just the eating that concerns me!

Here he is;

Attachments

• 20140816_191351.jpg
    20140816_191351.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Welcome Rocky he looks cute!

London my lovely Sulcata tortoise :0))

Lughnasadh

After reading elsewhere on here that some keepers use Florette crisp salad I went out this morning and got some and Rocky has had two very good meals today.

Very relieved : )