New to this have a question (how much to feed)

Hurliman bunch

Location (City and/or State)
SW Washington
Hello I am a new owner. My mom brought over our little Nelson yesterday with little info. He is 4 months old and I am wondering how much he is supposed to be eating. I have given him red leaf lettuce from our garden and dandelion leaf. We have soaked him twice in the past 24 hrs that we've had him. We also let him run around the yard and he ate one bite of dandelion. He doesn't seem interested in the food other than that. I have been reading that he should eat a pile of food a day????? Maybe he is just acclimating and will warm up to his new environment soon. Should I be concerned? I had a box turtle for 30 yrs and am finding that although we did very well with her this is a whole new ballgame.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) The threads Tom gave you are the best and will help you grow a healthy, smooth sulcata.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Welcome! Maybe he's just got the "new environment jitters"? Give him a bit of time to warm up to you. ;) Speaking of warming up, is he warm enough? Temp instability can definitely lead to decreased appetite. Just a thought?
Stick with those care sheets Tom sent you the links to and Nelson should thrive.
You've come to great place to get info. Lots of knowledge around here!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the forum. Your baby is getting acclimated to his new home. Food is not the most important thing to him at the moment. He is looking for a place to be secure and comfortable. When he has the "right" environment, his stress level will go way down he he will behave like a normal tortoise. He will eat, poop, and explore. It is extremely important to provide the correct temperatures an a dark hiding spot for him to feel safe in. Tom's threads explain the "right" type of environment for your young sulcata.

Hurliman bunch

SW Washington
Thanks so much! What a great site to stumble upon. I think he is warm enough and I just ordered a heating element for night time in addition to the one we have for daytime basking. He is eating the strawberry leaves my daughter gave him as I type this. Not a lot but enough for my worry to go down. I think I will be referring back to Tom's links frequently. This is great! I love this little guy so much and I want the best for him.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. You will find loads of information on here to help you raise a healthy, happy tortoise.

Hurliman bunch

SW Washington
UPDATE: Nelson is doing amazing! Me and the kids took him out in the 87 degree weather and let him graze in the yard. He took 3 steps, ate some dandilions. Took three more ate some more and did this for about a half an hour. He also ate two hands full of leaves throughout the day. He went from not eating on day one to eating nonstop. He is adorable! I think he has a happy life and will thrive in our home. Thanks again for the support.