New to the world of tortoises

Robertmccray

Hello my name is Rob and onSunday November 2nd I bought two Spur Thigh Tortoises. I love them so much and want to give them a great home. Can any tell me how can I tell the gender and if anyone own the same kind of tortoise any tips on finding out there age? Oh I live in sunny and hot Miami Florida. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1415154290.312634.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

First of all, Sulcatas are African Spurred tortoises. A "spur thigh" would be a Greek tortoise.

Secondly, I think your babies are too small yet to tell, but if you post pictures of their bottom shells including the tails, we may be able to offer a good guess.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Although probably to small too sex, they are to big too be in an aquarium. Depending on where you,live, they need to be outside, at least during the warm days. They also need to be separated, if not now, soon, as most likely, one will bully the other. They also need a humid hide to sleep in and a water dish big enough to get their whole bodies into.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum. Toms info is the ultimate. Keep us updated with pictures, enclosures and any questions.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome. Keeping two tortoises together that should be kept apart has become a #1 topic. It's human nature to want a "friend" for your pet. They wont become friends. Things will not go well if they are kept together....or in that little tank. Read up in the "enclosure" section for an easy and inexpensive solution. Everything you'll need is right here!

Robertmccray

Thank you so much for all the great information!! I plan on building them a HUGE outdoor home soon. They are only in the tank for now till i finish construction on there new home. I love them so much just want the best for my new babies. My kids have named them Megatron and Grimlock from there favorite cartoon transformers lol

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Welcome to TFO! They are cute, and they are still relatively smooth too. Tom provided all the links necessary, please follow them to provide the best care :)
Here's something else that might be worth taking a peek at- http://turtlerescues.com/sulcata_challenge.htm -they do get big, and need big spaces to match!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome.

Do go through Tom's threads. You will learn how to care of your torts the right way.

Welcome.

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
Hi there, Rob! Welcome to our lovely little community.

My name is Chloe and I am from Canada, but I am currently resided in Fresno, California. I am the proud mother of two Russian tortoises, a male named Harold and a female named Hazel.

Your tortoises are very cute! I've always had an interest in Greeks (they were my second choice!). I don't know much about the breed specifically, but they are a member of the Mediterranean tortoises and in the same family as my Russians. Hopefully I can provide some useful second-opinions.

What are you currently feeding them? Are you aware of appropriate sources of calcium for your torts? Are you prepared for the outdoor winter temperatures? If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I cannot provide much information on outdoor enclosures myself, but we have some amazing folks here that are very knowledgeable and very kind.

Please show us some more pictures soon! I love their adventurous demeanours!

Here is my little boy, Harold.

image.jpg

Here is my little girl, Hazel.

image.jpg