New Sulcata Mommy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
They are absolutely adorable, thanks for the pics! I'm a new mom too and this forum has been invaluable, everyone is super knowledgeable (not to mention nice!) so you are definitely in the right place.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
andykao said:
Welcome, I am in El Monte, CA

please keep your sulcata warm (70-80F) and feed them vegetable and Mazuri food

Uh...I wouldn't worry about the vegetables too much! Try to use the Mazuri (soaked) as a staple. After that, the only supplement you'll need is cactus (opuntia)...they'll love it and it's a GREAT source of fiber and calcium! Right now is a good time because you can offer them pumpkin...put some in the food processor...seeds and all. I do this once a week until New Years. Given your location, you should be able to get them outside in the sun for at least a couple hours a day. Don't get drawn into the supplement scam (especially Calcium w/ D3)...the cactus and Mazuri and Sun will take care of that. Other than that...CONGRATS and good luck!

BTW...if your babies are nibbling on the lawn...then you have no real worries, since their diet should be 95% grasses, weeds, etc...and your lawn looks yummy in that second picture!

Oh yeah...and cuttlebone...don't forget the cuttlebone. Another great source of calcium...and it'll keep their beaks trim;)

DSaenz

10 Year Member!
La Mirada, CA
Thanks for all the great information. Fortunately I have been gathering all this important information even before I got my new Sullys. So far so good! It's good to know there are so many friendly knowledgeable people on here if the need arises. I log on everyday....love all the new pictures!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Welcome to the forum! Those are some very adorable babies you have there! Don't forget to take pictures often - they grow fast! Our little guy is growing into a fat little rock everyday. Can't wait to see more picture updates as they continue to grow.

doubletorts

5 Year Member
Sulcata's are great. Granted mine are only 2 years old, but you learn they have different personalities and habits just like humans. My two were raised together and are only 2 months apart. They do everything together. but just recently they now sleep separate (but then again only one tort can sleep in a corner at a time). I enjoy mine. :) and look forward to being able to build a tort table for them. But CONGRATS! the feeling of being a tortoise mommy is great. :) :tort::tort:

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 12

SpeedyKae

5 Year Member
Garden Grove
DSaenz said:
Ok I think I finally figured out how to download pictures!!! Here are my babies!

IMG00104-20111027-1711.jpg

IMG00102-20111027-1657.jpg

they are sooo adorable! :]

Status
Not open for further replies.