New Russian Tortoise Owner!

abbiesparrow

Hi everyone! I had a Russian Tortoise for Christmas and I'm unsure about what I can put inside her tortoise table for decoration. I am wondering if I can use rocks, artificial plants etc? I want to make her house as homely as possible for her and she lives indoors so it's defeintly warm enough for her. Any replies and comments would be very helpful!
Thank you
Abbie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Abbie, and welcome to the Forum!

Russian tortoises are wonderful 'first' tortoises. But don't be mislead by thinking because he's small he can live in a small space. No. They need a lot of room to wander about. So buy the very largest plastic tote you can afford. Or even an old used book case. Take the shelves out, lay it on its back and decorate it!

You can use anything to decorate that you can think of, but the more you put in there, the more space you take up. Plants are always nice and give the tortoise more places to hide.

We have a very nice care sheet for Russian tortoises at the top of the russian section. Happy reading!

abbiesparrow

Yes she has plenty of room in her tortoise house! I will definitely get her some plants then for her to hide in. Would I be able to use artificial grass inside a section of her house for decoration?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Abbie welcome to the TFO from AZ . Remember torts are happiest at 86 degrees and people are happy at 72 degrees . But have a great tort day !

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Russians are awesome :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Pictures of your tortoise and enclosure would help us give you more feedback. Besides we love pictures.

abbiesparrow

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420134460.733418.jpg Here is a picture of my tortoises enclosure. I don't know if I need any decoration and what decoration I could use?

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
You are going to want to create a more humid environment and sawdust won't do it for you. The coconut coir is easy to use, stays moist pretty well. Pour warm water over it to refresh the moisture. So be sure your enclosure is waterproof. The bookcase idea is a good one if it is lined with something waterproof. Welcome to the forum.