New Russian owner

Kerryjrb

Hello, I'm excited about finding this group ☺
I got my Russian girl, Renko, a month ago from Craigslist she had been kept in a small glass aquarium with a yogurt container for a hide and was on a pelleted diet. I was excited to give her a new start. I set up an indoor enclosure using a child's wading pool, got a reptile wading pool, a half log, rocks and a reptisun 3in1 lamp and took her off pellets and put her on greens, etc. She gets 1 to 2 hrs of free roaming in our yard under supervision. We're going to build an outdoor enclosure for her next Spring. As the Temps got cooler I was leaving her lamp on all the time, which I know isn't recommended so I just got her a red heat lamp so that I could turn the 3in1 off for 10 hours at night ... the temp in her enclosure (under the lamp) is 92 degrees and that's where her basking lamp is. My question is: her log is in the center of the enclosure and she went into it yesterday morning and by tonight had not come out to eat. I finally decided to pick her up to check on her and she was really cold. I put her on her rock and she's just sitting there. The temp in the room is 60 degrees. I'm now so worried about how cold she is that I don't want to turn the reptisun off ... should I add another heat source close to her log? Should I make another enclosure that does not have so much area open to the room? Any advice appreciated!

Attachments

• 14423746671301895035238.jpg
    14423746671301895035238.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 24

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
salutations welcome to the we love Russians club I'm a charter member by the way

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Kerry, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Renko.
Little Russians are so sweet!
Tortoises need complete darkness to sleep properly and red light encourages them to eat the red lit objects such as substrate which is not good.
At night a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) connected to a thermostat is the best way of keeping up the temperatures.

Kerryjrb

Hello, Kerry, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Renko.
Little Russians are so sweet!
Tortoises need complete darkness to sleep properly and red light encourages them to eat the red lit objects such as substrate which is not good.
At night a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) connected to a thermostat is the best way of keeping up the temperatures.

Thanks, Adam. She was sleeping outside her log this morning, away from the red bulb and still feels very cold. I will get a ceramic heat emitter today but do you think I need to make her enclosure more narrow so that I can regulate the heat better. I'm quite worried about her as, until this week (colder temps) she's been very active during the day. She weighs 290 grams.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks, Adam. She was sleeping outside her log this morning, away from the red bulb and still feels very cold. I will get a ceramic heat emitter today but do you think I need to make her enclosure more narrow so that I can regulate the heat better. I'm quite worried about her as, until this week (colder temps) she's been very active during the day. She weighs 290 grams.
No, bigger is better for torts, you must cover the enclosure, use a CHE and get a decent basking bulb or MVB (mercury vapour bulb) to ensure the temps are kept up.