Hello Newbie Looking for Species ID

Turtleluv

Hello, my name is Michelle. I live in Maryland and recently took over the care of a semi neglected turtle. From what I am told it is a three toed box turtle. It was found in the road her in Maryland about 8 year ago. The shell is deformed likely from lack of sunshine, uvb light and calcium. I have corrected that and I'm trying to make the rest of her life healthy and happy. I have her in a large indoor cage with topsoil as substrate, 5.0 uvb and 60 watt heat lamp. Feeding earthworms lots of veggies, dark leafy greens and some fruits. She mostly wants live earthworms only. Trying to get her to accept them with calcium powder on them, but do far not successfully. Her indoor enclosure is wood one side completely enclosed and one side has a screen top. I have multiple rocks, sticks and a large log hide. Separate wading pool and food and water bowls. She has an outdoor enclosure for temporary outdoor stays. Just a few hours on nice days. One side is screened other is enclosed for shade. Outdoor cage also has a wading pool and water bowl. We've renamed her from Mr. Turtle to Roxy as after researching things...i am sure she is female. I cannot figure out how a three toed box got here in MD since they are not native and it appears the closest state they are found in is Georgia which is 800 miles away. If anyone has another idea of what species she is...feel free to let me know. Looking forward to absorbing lots of knowledge from everyone as i am new to caring for a turtle.

20170418_110414.jpg 20170417_202551.jpg 20170417_202456.jpg 20170417_202506.jpg 20170417_152445.jpg

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
Hello Michelle and welcome! If they are not native to your area, she was most likely a pet that was abandoned unfortunately and she was definitely neglected, poor thing. But from what it sounds, she is very lucky to have found you. @cmac3 @Yvonne G can you confirm this is a 3 toed? I noticed the plastron has a slight concave which indicates male but with the deformity of the shell I'm not 100%, I'll let the box turtle experts help determine that.

Turtleluv

Hello Michelle and welcome! If they are not native to your area, she was most likely a pet that was abandoned unfortunately and she was definitely neglected, poor thing. But from what it sounds, she is very lucky to have found you. @cmac3 @Yvonne G can you confirm this is a 3 toed? I noticed the plastron has a slight concave which indicates male but with the deformity of the shell I'm not 100%, I'll let the box turtle experts help determine that.
Thank you. This was definitely not an abandoned pet when found. It was only the size of a quarter. I can't imagine someone getting and then abandoning a baby turtle within days. She was found by a relative who had the Turtle since it was found. That's why I am very curious to be sure it is a three toed box.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Thank you. This was definitely not an abandoned pet when found. It was only the size of a quarter. I can't imagine someone getting and then abandoning a baby turtle within days. She was found by a relative who had the Turtle since it was found. That's why I am very curious to be sure it is a three toed box.

Oh wow, no you're right I didn't know it was found as a hatchling. It definitely sounds like it hatched in the wild then.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
First off thanks for taking this one in and sounds like your care is spot on. I'm having a hard time identifying the species with the deformity and the fact of where it was found. Its not unreasonable to think someone had a pair of three toed in Maryland that could've mated and the offspring hatched.

Turtleluv

Oh wow, no you're right I didn't know it was found as a hatchling. It definitely sounds like it hatched in the wild then.
Yes, I didn't want to come off rude like you couldn't possibly be right. I hope my reply wasn't offensive because I certainly didn't mean it to be. My mother in law found the turtle about eight years ago in her culdesac. Just walking in the road. It was tiny like no bigger than a quarter. It's strange but it does have the characteristics of a three toed if you picture it without the deformity.

Turtleluv

First off thanks for taking this one in and sounds like your care is spot on. I'm having a hard time identifying the species with the deformity and the fact of where it was found. Its not unreasonable to think someone had a pair of three toed in Maryland that could've mated and the offspring hatched.
Yes. That is something I hadn't thought about. That could very well be possible. It's encouraging to hear I'm doing well with her care. I'm so scared I'm not doing it right and I so want her healthy and comfortable. I only wish I'd have demanded taking over her care so much sooner.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome. Looks like a three toe to me. Terrapene carolina triunguis.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Yes, I didn't want to come off rude like you couldn't possibly be right. I hope my reply wasn't offensive because I certainly didn't mean it to be. My mother in law found the turtle about eight years ago in her culdesac. Just walking in the road. It was tiny like no bigger than a quarter. It's strange but it does have the characteristics of a three toed if you picture it without the deformity.

You didn't, absolutely not! But like Craig said, well done for taking this on, you're doing an incredible job and it sounds like this turtle has found a very very happy home!!

Turtleluv

You didn't, absolutely not! But like Craig said, well done for taking this on, you're doing an incredible job and it sounds like this turtle has found a very very happy home!!
Thank you. Glad to have found this forum. I have no doubt I'll be asking lots of questions. I've read up as much as I could find about turtles in general and then about three Toed's after she was identified, but I know I'll need lots of help along this long adventure I've embarked upon.