Hi Everybody!!

TortoiseNovice

Hi guys! As my username suggests, I am a novice when it comes to tortoises. I just got a Greek tortoise for my birthday and I named her Demeter (I think she's a girl). I've never had a tortoise before, so I appreciate any tips/advice y'all have to give! :)

I don't know what size her enclosure is right now, but I'm getting a 20-gallon terrarium in a few days, and am in the process of building a "playground," as I like to call it, out in my backyard. I've done some research, and I'm putting the playground on a bit of an incline, with both sunny and shady areas. I'm going to half-bury some terracotta pots so she'll have some hidey-holes and things to climb on. She's not going to be outside permanently, but I want to give her a space where I can put her for a little while so she can get some exercise. I live in North Texas, so it gets really hot in the summer, and really cold in the winter, hence the playground, not the permanent outdoor enclosure.

In her current, indoor enclosure, I have a water bowl that I keep filled and treat with this conditioner called REPTISAFE whenever I change her water which is daily. I give her kale, some zucchini slices, and these all-natural pellets specifically meant for Russian, Greek, and Hermann's tortoises. She also has a natural-looking half-log that's hollowed out so she can hide and get cool under. She has both a heat lamp and a UVB lamp that I keep on one side of her enclosure. I have a thermometer attached to the glass inside the enclosure around the middle. In the middle of the day, the temp reads between 80-83 degrees.

I turn on her lamps, feed her, and replace her water before I leave at 8 in the morning, & I turn off her lamp at 8 at night, leaving all lights in my room off. I'm a night owl, and I tend to stay up way past Dem's "bed time" working on homework. I've gotten in the habit of taking my things with me and moving to another room to let her sleep.

My question is: Am I doing this right? Also, Dem tends to try and walk through the glass of her enclosure. Is that normal?

Thanks for all of y'all's help!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) The 20 gallon will not be big enough. Get a couple plastic totes, and join them together. Cheaper and will give more space. The trying to walk through the glass, some will do this, some don't. Cover the lower portion with paper so she can't see out. Also, be sure you are not using the cheaper coil type or CFL bulbs, they have been known to cause eye problems. So far sounds like you got things going pretty good. I will leave details to the Greek owners.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. I agree it sounds like you got it undercontol . Greeks are fun :)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399349908.334294.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. good to have you here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum!