New Outside Enclosure?

CarterEvan

Hello Everyone!

I have had trouble in the past with growth for my leopard and now that it's warmer I think some sun will do him some good. Can anyone give their thoughts on this possible enclosure to be used outside 24/7?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBB7FYU/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

My concerns are the potential of it getting too hot as well as the plastic top filtering out the UVB (I've heard that some plastics do that.)

Also any other thoughts on it are much appreciated! Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's not something I would be interested in using. I like an open pen with a wire, hinged top. Similar to this:

nyb4hv.jpg

CarterEvan

Thanks! my only question with something like that is what about humidity? My tortoise is under a year so i believe humidity is crucial for steady shell growth.

Also i assume i could get the materials to build that at a Lowes or Home depot right??

Tort1419

I can't answer your question about humidity but yes you can get the materials there. My advice is don't over think it. Make sure it is escape proof!!! And keeps predators out!!! And don't forget to Double check on other threads or ask us

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
For humidity I don't think you're going to have an easy time keeping it to the levels it's supposed to be.
However, if you continue to do 20 minute daily soaks, maybe hook up a sprinkler to go off once or twice a day in the enclosure, and also use a humid hide for your young one at night you might be able to make it work.
I don't know for sure though.
@Tom might know more about ways to keep humidity up while housing torts outside.

CarterEvan

For humidity I don't think you're going to have an easy time keeping it to the levels it's supposed to be.
However, if you continue to do 20 minute daily soaks, maybe hook up a sprinkler to go off once or twice a day in the enclosure, and also use a humid hide for your young one at night you might be able to make it work.
I don't know for sure though.
@Tom might know more about ways to keep humidity up while housing torts outside.

Alright thanks! I just am now getting my tort to gain weight where he is at so i want to try and not mess it up! lol